Kulbhushan Jadhav Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
Pakistan’s Field General Court Martial has sentenced to death Indian national and alleged RAW (Research and Analysis Wing) agent Kulbhushan Jadhav (46) who was arrested last year on charges of spying.
The death sentence was confirmed by army chief Gen Qamar Javed Bajwa after the Field General Court Martial found him guilty of all the charges.
Kulbhushan Jadhav was arrested in March 2016 by Pakistani security forces in the restive Balochistan province after he reportedly entered from Iran. Pakistan has alleged that Jadhav was a serving officer in the Indian Navy and deputed to the Research and Analysis Wing (RAW), foreign (external) intelligence agency of India. Union External Affairs Ministry had acknowledged that Jadhav served with the navy but has no link with government since his premature retirement from Indian Navy.
Earlier in 1999, Pakistan had hanged an Indian Sheikh Shamim also on charges of spying. In 2013, another Indian national, Sarabjit Singh was also sentenced to death (16 years) for spying in Pakistan. He was killed in jail after being attacked by fellow inmates.. However, these two previous cases were gone through civilian courts.
About Research and Analysis Wing (RAW)
- RAW is the primary foreign intelligence agency of India.
- It was established in 1968 following the intelligence failures of the Sino-Indian and Indo-Pakistani wars.
- Headquarters: New Delhi.
- Motto: धर्मो रक्षति रक्षित: (English: The law protects when it is protected)
- It is under the direct command of Prime Minister and reports on an administrative basis to the Cabinet Secretary of India, who reports to the Prime Minister.
- Its primary function is gathering foreign intelligence, engaging in counter-terrorism, advising Indian policymakers, promoting counter-proliferation and advancing India’s foreign strategic interests.