Leela Samson Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
Eminent singer, composer, lyricist and actor Shekhar Sen has been appointed as the chairman of the Sangeet Natak Akademi (SNA).
His appointment was announced by Union Ministry of Culture and will have term five years with immediate effect.
This post was vacant since September 2014, after then Chairman Leela Samson had resigned.
- Since 1983, as a singer, lyricist and composer, he has done many research oriented musical programmes including Dushyant Ne Kaha Tha, Madhya Yugeen Kaavya, Pakistan Ka Hindi Kavya, Meera Se Mahadevi Tak.
- He also has rendered many significant bhajan albums.
- He is famous for his mono act musical plays Tulsi, Kabeer, Vivekananda, Sanmanti, Saahab and Soordas.
- His performances have been acclaimed in India and abroad where he has performed.
- Awards: He has received prestigious awards including the Padma Shri (2015), Safdar Hashmi Puraskaar (2001) by Sangeet Natak Academy of Uttar Pradesh, Shantaram Samman (2008) by Rajya Hindi Sahitya Academy of Maharashtra.
You may read more about Sangeet Natak Akademi here
Chairperson of Central Board of Film Certification (CBFC) Leela Samson has resigned.
She resigned after Film Certification Appellate Tribunal (FCAT) cleared the controversial film Messenger of God featuring Dera Saccha Sauda chief Gurmeet Ram Rahim Singh in lead role.
The Censor Board headed by Ms. Samson had earlier denied the clearance certificate to the film saying that the movie depicts Gurmeet Ram Rahim Singh as a God.
Film Certification Appellate Tribunal (FCAT)
- FCAT is a statutory body. It has been constituted under the provisions of the Cinematograph Act, 1952.
- It comes under the aegis of Ministry of Information and Broadcasting.
- Headquarters: New Delhi.
- The Tribunal has a Secretary to look after its day to day affairs.
- Function: It hears the appeals filed as per provisions of Cinematograph Act. Any applicant can file an appeal before the tribunal for a certificate in respect of a film who is aggrieved by an order of the Central Board of Film Certification (CBFC).
- She is a Bharatanatyam dancer, choreographer, instructor and writer.
- She is recipient of the many awards for her contributions to Bharatanatyam. It includes Padma Shri (1990), Kalaimamani (2005) given by Government of Tamil Nadu, and the Sangeet Natak Akademi Award (1999–2000).