Life Scienences Current Affairs
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) has established the world’s Highest Terrestrial Research Centre near Pengong Lake at Changla in Ladakh.
The centre dubbed as Extreme Altitude Research Centre is located at 17,600 feet above mean sea level and was inaugurated by Director General of DRDO Dr S Christopher.
- Leh based Defence Institute of High Altitude Research (DIHAR) was nodal DRDO establishment to established this centre.
- The centre will serve as a natural cold storage for preserving endangered and rare medical plants for future generations.
- Large number of Life Sciences activities will be undertaken at this centre.
- It will be as an important utility for research work in frontal areas of food and agriculture and bio-medical sciences for well-being of the soldiers deployed in high altitude cold desert.
- It will also provide unique opportunity to other establishments and labs of DRDO for evaluation and testing of electronics and communication devices.
- It will serve as testing ground of various materials for high altitude applications including UAV’s micro engines, batteries and fuel cells, high altitude clothing etc. in naturally occurring extreme cold conditions at Changla.