Lin Dan Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
The 2019 Malaysia Open Badminton tournament was held at Axiata Arena in Malaysia from 2 to 7 April 2019 and has a total purse of $700,000.
Winners of the Tournament
- Men’s Singles: Lin Dan (China)
- Women’s Singles: Tai Tzu-ying (Taiwan)
- Men’s Doubles: Li Junhui & Liu Yuchen (China)
- Women’s Doubles: Chen Qingchen & Jia Yifan (China)
- Mixed Doubles: Zheng Siwei & Huang Yaqiong (China)
The Malaysia Open is an annual badminton tournament that has been held since 1937 and it is also known as Malaysia Super Series.
Lin Dan from China has won the prestigious 2016 All England Badminton title in the men’s singles category.
In the final match played at Birmingham, England he defeated Chinese teammate Tian Houwei by 21-9, 21-10 score.
It was his overall sixth All England badminton title and earlier he had won it in 2004, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012.
Other category winners
- Women’s singles category: Nozomi Okuhara (Japan) won the title by defeating Wang Shixian (China) by 21-11, 16-21 and 21-19 score.
- Men’s Doubles category: Russian pair Vladimir Ivanov and Ivan Sozonov won the title by defeating Japanese pair Hiroyuki Endo and Kenichi Hayakawa by 21-23, 21-18, 21-16 score.
- Women’s Doubles category: Japanese pair Misaki Matsutomo and Ayaka Takahashi won the title by defeating Chinese pair Tang Yuanting and Yu Yang by 21-10 and 21-12 score.
- Mixed Doubles category: Indonesian pair Praveen Jordan and Debby Susanto won the title by defeating Denmark pair Joachim Fischer Nielsen and Christinna Pedersen by 21-12 and 21-17 score.
About All England Open Badminton Championships
- All England Open Badminton Championships is one of the oldest as well as the prestigious badminton tournaments of the world.
- The first tournament was held in 1898 in Guildford, since then it is played annually.
- Initially the championship was started in only three categories- Men’s Doubles, Women’s Doubles and Mixed Doubles. But later in 1900 individual Men’s Singles and Women’s Singles titles were added.
- Indian badminton legends Prakash Padukone (in 1980) and P Gopichand (in 2001) have won this prestigious title in Men’s Singles category.