Barcelona FC star Lionel Messi (29) has announced retirement from Argentinean Football team. However, he will continue to play his club football for FC Barcelona.
He made this announcement after Argentina was defeated by Chile in the 2016 Copa America final in the penalty shootout by 4-2 score. He had missed the penalty in the final match.
About Lionel Messi
- In his football career with Argentinean team, Lionel Messi had played four finals at different titles for his country. It includes 2014 World Cup final and three Copa America finals.
- He had made his senior international debut in 2005. He is Argentina’s all-time top scorer, with 55 goals from 113 match appearances.
- He plays at the forward position for Argentinean team and for the Spanish FC Barcelona.
- He is the only footballer to win five FIFA Ballons d’Or, four of which he had won consecutively. He also the first football player to win three European Golden Shoes.
- With Barcelona, he had won eight La Liga titles and four Champions Leagues. But with Argentinean Football team, his only major international honour was gold in 2008 Olympic.