Lionel Messi Current Affairs
India’s talismanic football team captain Sunil Chhetri (33) became joint second highest international goal scorer among active players along with Argentine superstar footballer Lionel Messi. He achieved this feat after he scored his 64th goal in match between India and Kenya in Intercontinental Cup summit clash in Mumbai, Maharashtra. In this match, Chhetri scored two goals.
Sunil Chhetri’s performance
It was Chhetri’s 102nd international match, making him only the second Indian to feature in 100 international matches after former skipper Bhaichung Bhutia. In terms of goals scored, he and Messi are behind Portuguese superstar Cristiano Ronaldo who has 81 goals on his name from 150 matches.
Chhetri and Messi are currently in joint 21st position in all-time list of goal scorers. Chhetri is just one goal below former Chelsea FC and Ivory Coast footballer Didier Drogba (65 from 104 matches). In terms of number of goals per match, Chhetri is better than Meesi (who is currently considered as best player in the football world). Chhetri has scored 0.62 goals per match as against 0.52 of Messi (64 goals from 124 matches). He is also better goal average than Cristiano Ronaldo (0.54 per match).
Barcelona FC star Lionel Messi (29) has announced retirement from Argentinean Football team. However, he will continue to play his club football for FC Barcelona.
He made this announcement after Argentina was defeated by Chile in the 2016 Copa America final in the penalty shootout by 4-2 score. He had missed the penalty in the final match.
About Lionel Messi
- In his football career with Argentinean team, Lionel Messi had played four finals at different titles for his country. It includes 2014 World Cup final and three Copa America finals.
- He had made his senior international debut in 2005. He is Argentina’s all-time top scorer, with 55 goals from 113 match appearances.
- He plays at the forward position for Argentinean team and for the Spanish FC Barcelona.
- He is the only footballer to win five FIFA Ballons d’Or, four of which he had won consecutively. He also the first football player to win three European Golden Shoes.
- With Barcelona, he had won eight La Liga titles and four Champions Leagues. But with Argentinean Football team, his only major international honour was gold in 2008 Olympic.