The Haryana food and drugs administration department has banned flushing/mixing of liquid nitrogen with any drink or food article. The ban was imposed under section 34 of the Food Safety and Standards Act (FSS), 2006.
The ban comes after a cocktail accident (due mixing of liquid nitrogen in cocktail) at Gurgaon pub in April 2016 that burnt a hole in a man’s stomach.
Under this ban, any eatery found using liquid nitrogen with any drink or food will be booked under section 34 (i) and (ii) of the FSS Act, 2006. The eatery may also face closure and/or a penalty.
Liquid nitrogen is a colourless liquid having a boiling point of -195.79 °C. It is used to instantly freeze food and drinks. It is used in bars to quickly freeze ingredients, chill glasses and provide a smoky effect to drinks and also in molecular gastronomy. It is also used to cool computers and in cryogenic medical procedures like removing cancerous tissues and warts by freezing them.
Harmful effects of liquid nitrogen
According to medical experts, any drink or food article whose preparation involves flushing/mixing of liquid nitrogen is harmful for humans. It releases a large volume of gas as it evaporates, which can burst the stomach if consumed in a sufficiently large quantity.