Locarno Agreement Current Affairs - 2020
The Cabinet has approved the proposal to harmonise the classification systems for examination of trademark and design applications, in line with the systems, followed globally. As a step forward in this direction the cabinet gas approved India’s accession for the following agreements:
- Nice Agreement on the International classification of goods and services for the purposes of registration of marks.
- Vienna Agreement for setting up an International classification of the figurative elements of marks.
- Locarno Agreement for establishing an International classification for industrial designs.
Benefits of the Accession
- The accession will help the Intellectual Property Office in India to harmonise the classification systems for examination of trademark and design applications, in line with the classification systems, followed globally.
- The accession would give an opportunity to include Indian designs, figurative elements and goods in the international classification systems.
- The accession is expected to instil confidence in foreign investors in relation to the protection of IPs in India.
- The accession would facilitate in exercising rights in decision-making processes regarding review and revision of the classifications under the agreement.
The accession is part of the government’s commitment to strengthen the Indian Intellectual property regime.