London Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
Sri Lanka’s former captain Kumar Sangakkara will become first Non-British president of Marylebone Cricket Club (MCC).
- He will take up charge of president post on 1st October 2019 and will serve for 12 months period.
- His tenure at Lord’s will witness two England test matches against West Indies and Pakistan and also the launch of ‘The Hundred’, an England and Wales Cricket Board’s new 100-ball cricket format.
Now 41-year-old, Kumar Sangakkara was awarded Honorary Life Membership of the MCC in 2012. Later, he joined MCC’s World Cricket committee and remains an active member since then.
Marylebone Cricket Club
It was founded in 1787 and has been based at Lord’s (a cricket ground in London, UK). MCC owns Lord’s since 1814. It is the guardian (or custodian) of the Laws of the game.
StartupBlink has ranked 100 countries for startup environment of countries globally. The rankings were based on the data from over 61,000 startups, more than 500 accelerators, and over 1,400 coworking spaces registered on its platform along with data gathered from its global partners including Crunchbase, SimilarWeb etc.
The rankings were based on the impact startups have been able to make in the country, how many startups and support organisations are there such as accelerators, coworking spaces, startup events along with technology infrastructure, red tape, bureaucracy, etc.
Findings of the Report
- The US, the UK, Canada, Israel, and Australia have been ranked in top5 in the rankings.
- India was ranked 17th in the rankings and has climbed 20 spots (rank 37) from the previous ranking.
- China was ranked 27th.
- Estonia (13), Ireland (14), and Germany (9) were ranked ahead of India for their startup ecosystems.
- The challenge before India is to improve the overall quality of startups and increase the number of unicorns than currently exist.
In the ranking of cities, Bengaluru stood at 11, New Delhi at 18 and Mumbai at 29. San Francisco Bay, New York, London, Los Angeles, and Boston topped the ranking among the cities.
Tags: Australia • Bengaluru • Boston • Canada • China • Crunchbase • Estonia • Germany • Ireland • Israel • London • Los Angeles • Mumbai • New Delhi • New York • San Francisco Bay • SimilarWeb • Startupblink • UK • US