M Balamuralikrishna Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
Legendary vocalist, playback singer and composer Mangalampalli Balamuralikrishna passed away due to age-related geriatric problems in Chennai. He was 86.
He was considered as doyen of classical music. During his long musical career he had excelled as a prominent Carnatic vocalist, multi-instrumentalist, playback singer, composer and actor.
About Mangalampalli Balamuralikrishna
- Balamuralikrishna was born on 6 July 1930 in Sankaraguptam, East Godavari District, Andhra Pradesh.
- He had started his musical journey as a child prodigy at a tender age of 8. Since then, he has performed in over 25 thousand concerts.
- He had innovated the whole Carnatic music system by keeping its rich tradition untouched. The ragas like Ganapathi, Sarvashri, Mahati, Lavangi etc. were credited to him.
- He also had composed over 400 compositions in various languages including in his native tongu, Telugu and in Kannada, Tamil, Sanskrit, Malayalam, Hindi, Bengali, and Punjabi.
- His compositions range from Devotional to Varnams, Krithis, Javalis and Thillans, in all the fundamental 72 melakartha ragas to film music.
- He made his acting debut with Bhakta Prahlada (1967) as Narada and also has acted in various films including Kananda
- Awards and Honours: Padma Vibhusan (1991), Mahatma Gandhi Silver Medal from UNESCO (1995), France’s Chevalier of the Ordre des Arts et des Lettres. He is also a recipient of Filmfare awards and National Film Awards for best music direction and playback singing.