M. Karunanidhi Current Affairs - 2020
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
Ruling All India Anna Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam (AIADMK) Party under the leadership of Chief Minister J. Jayalalitha has emerged victorious in the 2016 Tamil Nadu Assembly Election.
AIADMK Party emerged victorious by winning 134 seats (38.4% votes) out of 234 seats of the Legislative Assembly in the state. The opposition Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam (DMK) has won 89 seats (35.6% votes) while Indian National Congress (INC) won 8 seats.
With this victory, AIADMK Chief J. Jayalalitha became the first Chief Minister in 32 years to be voted back to power. She won from Dr. RK Nagar constituency in Chennai.
DMK Patriarch M. Karunanidhi has won for a record 13th time (since 1956) from his home turf of Tiruvarur.
The election for fifteenth Assembly of Tamil Nadu was held in single phase on 16 May 2016 for the 234 seats.
Tags: Elections • J Jayalalitha • M. Karunanidhi • Persons in News • States
M. Karunanidhi has been re-elected as the Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam (DMK) Party’s President for the 11th time. He was elected by the newly constituted general council of party.
Facts about Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam (DMK) Party
- It is a state political party in South Indian state of Tamil Nadu and Union Territory (UT) Puducherry.
- It was founded in 1949 in then Madras Presidency by C. N. Annadurai as a breakaway faction from the Dravidar Kazhagam (known as Justice Party till 1944) headed by Periyar.
- It was a former member of the United Progressive Alliance (UPA).
- Karunanidhi was elected President of the Party on July 27, 1969 after C.N. Annadurai’s death. Since then he is President of Party.
- This party also holds the distinction of being the first party in India other than the Indian National Congress (INC) to win state-level elections with a clear majority on its own in any state.
Chief Ministers of DMK in Tamil Nadu
- N Annadurai– He was first CM of DMK. He was in office from 1967-69.
- M. Karunanidhi- He was CM on five separate occasions. They are 1969-71, 1971-76, 1989-91, 1996-2001, 2006-11.
Tags: Current Affairs 2016 • Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam (DMK) • M. Karunanidhi • N Annadurai • Puducherry