Madrid Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
Kiki Bertens of Netherlands beats Simona Halep of Romania in finals to win women’s singles title in Madrid Open tennis.
- Kiki Bertens won with surprise 6-4, 6-4 victory over Simona Halep. With this triumph she became first woman ever to win Madrid singles title championship without dropping a set.
- Kiki climbed to fourth in world rankings which is her career’s best till now. With this she became the highest-ranked Dutchwoman ever by climbing to World No 4.
- A victory would have allowed the third-ranked Simona to regain her world’s number one ranking (displacing Naomi Osaka).
NOTE: Madrid Open Tennis also known as the Mutua Madrid Open (as currently sponsored by Mutua Madrileña) is a joint men’s and women’s professional tennis tournament, held in Madrid (Spain’s Capital).
Indian External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj held a bilateral meeting with her counterpart from Spain Josep Borrel. Both the leaders met at Madrid’s Viana Palace, the Spanish foreign ministry’s official headquarters to discuss the most pressing issues on the international agenda.
Highlights of the Bilateral Meet
The important outcomes of the bilateral meeting are:
- Both India and Spain supported the promotion of multilateralism and a rules-based concept of free trade.
- The meet acknowledged the growing degree of interlocution between Spain and Indian and the current understanding between the two countries that share values, democratic principles and vision regarding international affairs.
- Both discussed the budding potential of closer economic ties and industrial and technological cooperation between the Mediterranean and South Asian nations especially in fields in which Spanish businesses are global leaders such as the civil use of nuclear energy, transport, the railway sector and renewable energy.
- The meet acknowledged India’s increasing influence when it comes to the promotion of international stability and security.
- Spain expressed condolences and solidarity in the aftermath of a brutal suicide bombing at Pulwama that has killed at least 40 paramilitary troopers.
Grand Cross of the Order of Civil Merit medal
Indian External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj was presented with Grand Cross of the Order of Civil Merit medal to honour India’s support for Spanish victims of the earthquake that devastated Nepal in April 2015. The award recognises the extraordinary service by Spanish and foreign citizens for the benefit of Spain.