Magnus Carlsen Current Affairs - 2020
Norway’s Magnus Carlsen retained his title of World chess champion by defeating Indian opponent Viswanathan Anand in the 11th round of their title match held in Sochi, Russia.
Carlsen scored 6.5 points after the final match to retain the title by defeating his challenger Viswanathan Anand who had held this championship title from 2007 to 2013.
About Magnus Carlsen
- Magnus Carlsen is a Norwegian chess grandmaster, No. 1 ranked player in the world and reigning World Chess Champion in classical, rapid, and blitz.
- His peak rating is 2882, the highest in history.
- He became Grandmaster in 2004, at the age of 13 years, 148 days, making him at that time the second youngest grandmaster in history, although he has since become the third youngest.
- On 1st January 2010, at the age of 19 years, 32 days, he was the youngest chess player in history to be ranked world No. 1.
- In 2013, he was named in the Time magazine list of the 100 most influential people in the world in 2013.