Mahanadhi Basin Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
The Union Government has launched National Seismic Programme (NSP) to trace hydrocarbon resources like oil and natural gas in Mahanadi basin.
It was launched by Union Minister of State (MoS) for Petroleum and Natural Gas at Taranga village under Soro block in Balasore district of Odisha.
Mahanadi basin has been chosen as the first location for the roll out of this national-level programme. The outcome from the NSP help in better understanding of the sub-surface with petroleum systems across wider geological ages especially in sedimentary basins to explore hydrocarbon reserves in Odisha.
What is National Seismic Programme (NSP)?
- NSP aims to undertake a fresh appraisal in all sedimentary basins across India in order to have better understanding of the hydrocarbon potential of the country.
- Under this programme, high-resolution 2D seismic Acquisition, Processing and Interpretation (API) survey will be conducted across India especially in the sedimentary basins.
- The survey will be conducted by state owned Oil and Natural Gas Corporation (ONGC) and Oil India Limited (OIL). The survey project will be completed by March 2019.
- ONGC will conduct the survey of around 40,835 Line Kilo Meter (LKM) in onland part of 26 sedimentary basins in 18 states/UTs including Mahanadi basin.
- While OIL will carry out the survey of 7,408 LKM in the North eastern states of Assam, Manipur, Arunachal Pradesh, Mizoram and Nagaland.