Maharashra Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
Sarangi maestro Pandit Ram Narayan (88) has been chosen for the prestigious Bharat Ratna Pandit Bhimsen Joshi Classical Music Award for 2015-2016.
Pandit Ram Narayan is first internationally successful sarangi player and has popularised bowed musical instrument as a solo concert instrument in Hindustani classical music.
About Pandit Ram Narayan
- Pandit Ram Narayan was born on25 December 1927 in Udaipur, Mewar (now in Rajasthan) in then British India province.
- He has been playing the sarangi since his childhood and over the years acquired global acclaim for his music.
- He also had given his performances on All India Radio in Delhi and many other countries. Besides he also has taught hundreds of Indian and foreign students.
- Awards and Honours: He has been conferred with Padma Vibhushan (2005), India’s second highest civilian honour.
About Pandit Bhimsen Joshi Classical Music Award
- The annual award has been instituted by the Maharashtra government in the memory of vocalist Bhimsen Joshi.
- It is bestowed upon individuals who have excelled in classical vocal or instrumental music. These individuals are selected by a committee of top music artistes and exponents.
- The award comprises 5 lakh rupees in cash, a trophy and a citation.
Sarangi: It is a bowed, short-necked string instrument from India which is used in Hindustani classical music.