Mahashangarh Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
Mahasthangarh, the 3rd century BC archaeological site in Bogra, Bangladesh, has been declared as the South Asian Association of Regional Cooperation (SAARC) cultural capital for the year 2016-17.
As a SARRC cultural capital, the historic place will host festivals on literature, films, foods and dances from October 2016 to September 2017. Besides, the year 2016-17 has also be declared the SAARC Year of Cultural Heritage.
- Mahasthangarh is one of the earliest urban archaeological sites so far discovered in Bangladesh. It dates back 3rd century BC and is located 11 km north of Bogra in Bangladesh.
- It was the ancient capital of Pundravardhana i.e. home of the Pundra, a group of people not speaking languages of the Indo-European family
- Every year, an archeologically and culturally rich city in the one of the 8 SAARC countries is declared as the cultural capital for that year.
- It was an outcome of Delhi Resolution which was adopted at the conference while preparing a road map on cultural ties till 2017.
- This development seeks at strengthening cultural ties among the people of SAARC nations. Bamiyan, a historic city of Afghanistan, is the current SAARC cultural capital for 2015-16.