Mahendra Singh Dhoni Current Affairs
The BCCI has nominated former Indian cricket team captain Mahendra Singh Dhoni (36) for Padma Bhushan, country’s third highest civilian award for his contribution to game. He is only cricketer nominated by BCCI for this years Padma Awards.
Dhoni is one of greatest names in contemporary cricket and has impeccable credentials to his name. He is only Indian captain to record two win at World Cup titles (2011 50-over World Cup and 2007 World T20).
Mahendra Singh Dhoni
He is one of the greatest ODI cricketer with nearly 10,000 runs. He has scored 9737 runs in 302 ODIs besides 4876 runs in 90 Test matches. He has also played 78 T20 Internationals, scoring 1212 runs.
He has 16 international hundreds (6 in Tests and 10 in ODIs) to his name along with 100 international half-centuries. As a wicketkeeper, Dhoni has held 584 catches across formats (256 in Tests, 285 in ODIs and 43 in T20 Internationals). He has also effected 163 stumpings. Dhoni is already a recipient of the prestigious Arjuna, Rajeev Gandhi Khel Ratna and the Padma Shri award.
Cricketers awarded with Padma Bhushan
If Dhoni is conferred with Padma Bhushan, he will be 11th Indian cricketer to get third highest civilian honour. Some of notable international cricketers, who have been recipients of Padma Bhushan are Kapil Dev, Sunil Gavaskar, Rahul Dravid, Chandu Borde, Prof DB Deodhar, Col CK Nayudu, Lala Amarnath and Sachin Tendulkar. The lesser known names also include Raja Bhalindra Singh of Patiala, and Vijaya Anand, Maharaja of Vizianagram.
Cricketer Mahendra Singh Dhoni is the only Indian to find place in the Forbes magazine’s list of 100 World’s Highest-Paid Athletes 2015
He was placed at 23rd on the Forbes list with total earnings of 31 million dollars including amount from salary at 4 million dollars and endorsements worth 27 million dollars.
This edition of list was again topped by US boxer Floyd Mayweather for third time. It should be noted that the earnings figures include sum of salaries, bonuses and prize money paid between June 2014 and June 2015.
Top ten World’s Highest-Paid Athletes 2015 are
- Floyd Mayweather (Boxing) from US: $ 300 million.
- Manny Pacquiao (Boxing) from Philippines: $ 160 million.
- Cristiano Ronaldo (Football) from Portugal: $ 79.6 million.
- Lionel Messi (Football) from Argentina: $73.8 million.
- Roger Federer (Tennis) from Switzerland: $67 million.
- LeBron James (Basketball) from US: $64.8 million.
- Kevin Durant (Basketball) from US: $54.1 million.
- Phil Mickelson (Golf) from US: $50.8 million.
- Tiger Woods (Golf) from US: $50.6 million.
- Kobe Bryant (Basketball) from US: $49.5 million.
In this edition of list only two women athletes made to the list they are
- Maria Sharapova (Tennis) from Russia: She was placed at 26th rank with total earnings of $ 31 million.
- Serena Williams (Tennis) from US: She was placed at 47th rank with total earnings of $ 6 million.
The 100 highest-paid athletes of this edition of list have made 3.2 billion dollars in total in last one year which is 17 percent more compared to previous year.