Make in India Current Affairs
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
Prime Minister Narendra Modi was awarded first ever Philip Kotler Presidential Award. Philip Kotler Presidential Award aims to spread examples of individuals and companies who create an innovative culture for the economic, social and technological advancements of an industry or a country.
Why PM Modi was conferred with the award?
The citation of the award underlines the following achievements of the PM Modi for conferring the award:
- PM Modi was selected for his outstanding leadership for the nation.
- PM Modi’s selfless service towards India, combined with his tireless energy has resulted in extraordinary economic, social and technological advances in the country.
- Under PM Modi’s leadership, India is now identified as the centre for innovation and value-added manufacturing (Make in India), as well as a global hub for professional services such as information technology, accounting and finance
- Modi’s visionary leadership has also resulted in the digital revolution (Digital India), including the Unique Identification Number, Aadhaar, for social benefits and financial inclusion.
- Initiatives such as Make in India, Startup India, Digital India and Swachh Bharat have positioned India as one of the most lucrative manufacturing and business destinations in the world
Philip Kotler Presidential Award
Philip Kotler, a professor of marketing at Northwestern University, Kellogg School of Management is also known as ‘Father of Modern Marketing’. Apart from marketing, Philip Kotler has extensively written on education, environment, government marketing, healthcare, hospitality, and innovation.
The Philip Kotler Presidential Award is constituted to honour mastery in the field of marketing and management. The award recognises and celebrates achievements of organisations, marketing teams, and individuals in different industries around the world.
Coal India for the first time, has started using an indigenously-made, 205-tonne electric dumper, a critical piece of equipment in mining. This indigenously-made dumper has been developed by state-owned BEML. Coal India has put this electric dumper on a trial in Northern Coalfields’ Amlohri coal mine. This indigenously-made dumper is the biggest one deployed by Northern Coalfields limited.
This indigenously-made dumper is expected to increase competition among suppliers, bring down costs and improve the availability of spares.
How the successful trail can give a boost to Make in India?
The successful trial will open a plethora of opportunities because
- The successful trial will enable BEML to participate in tenders for higher capacity dumpers floated by Coal India.
- Northern Coalfields limited has already floated one such tender and the Eastern Coalfield limited is in the process of floating tender for 10 dumpers.
- The dumper market in India is captured by Russia’s Belaz, Tata Hitachi and Caterpillar. But these dumpers come at prices upwards of Rs 15 crore.
If the BEML gains an opportunity to enter the e-dumper market, it will act as a disruptor in the market and give fierce competition to the big market players. It can open a plethora of opportunities for BEML and give a fillip to Make in India together with cutting the costs for Coal India.
Make in India
‘Make in India’ campaign aims to facilitate investment, foster innovation, enhance skill development, protect intellectual property & build best in class manufacturing infrastructure in India. The initiative aims to transform India into a global manufacturing hub. The initiative focuses on creating jobs in 25 sectors.