Malawi Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
African Nation, Malawi will be undertaking large scale pilot tests for the world’s most advanced experimental malaria vaccine in a bid to prevent the disease that kills hundreds of thousands across Africa and Asia every year.
Vaccine for Malaria
- Vaccine for Malaria under the trade name Mosquirix has been developed by British pharmaceutical giant GlaxoSmithKline in partnership with the PATH Malaria Vaccine Initiative.
- Four successive doses of the vaccines must be administered on a strict timetable for it to work.
- Even though the potential vaccine does not give full protection against the mosquito-borne disease, it is the furthest along in development and so far the most effective.
- The pilot tests aim to immunize around 120,000 children aged 2 and below to assess the effectiveness of the pilot vaccine and whether the delivery process is feasible.
Malaria which spreads to people through the bites of infected female Anopheles mosquitoes has killed 435,000 people in 2017 alone and the majority of them were children under 5 in Africa.
The Ministry of External Affairs has signed an MoU with National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development Consultancy Service (NABCONS) for setting up India-Africa Institute of Agriculture and Rural Development (IAIARD) in Malawi.
India-Africa Institute of Agriculture and Rural Development
- IAIARD would be a Pan-African Institute wherein trainees not only from Malawi but also from other African countries, will receive training to develop their human resources and build their capacity.
- IAIARD will impart training in the areas of micro-financing and agro-financing, among others.
- The expenditure on faculty from India, the travel, logistics and training course expenses for students from other African countries will be borne by the Government of India for an initial period of three years.
IAIARD is the first of its kind initiative undertaken in an African country by India. IAIARD will further strengthen the bilateral relations with Malawi and India’s relations with the African Union.
NABARD Consultancy Services
NABARD Consultancy Services (Nabcons) is a fully owned subsidiary promoted by National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development (NABARD). Nabcons is engaged in providing consultancy in all spheres of agriculture, rural development and allied areas.
Nabcons leverages on the core competence of the NABARD in the areas of agricultural and rural development, especially multidisciplinary projects, banking, institutional development, infrastructure, training, etc., internalized for more than two decades.
Tags: Africa • African Union • IAIARD • India-Africa Institute of Agriculture and Rural Development • Malawi • Ministry of External Affairs • NABARD • NABCONS • National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development • National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development Consultancy Service