Maldives Current Affairs
The India International Institute of Democracy and Election Management (IIIDEM) has conducted training on Election Management of SAARC Countries.
It was conducted by Election Commission of India (ECI) and sponsored by the Union Ministry of External Affairs with aim of promoting free, fair, peaceful and inclusive elections.
- The training course is attended by delegates consisting of Election Management Bodies (EMBs) from Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, Nepal, Maldives, Bhutan and Afghanistan.
- The 11 day (5th to 15th December 2016) course encapsulates several sessions on principles and practices for election management.
- During the program, the 28 participants from these 6 SAARC countries will share their experiences on election situation in their respective countries.
- Additionally, it aims to train officials on various aspects of election management like capacity building of stakeholders, code of conduct, voter inclusion and registration etc.
- It will have participatory sessions on ‘Free, Fair Elections and International Standards,’ ‘Principles of Voter Registration and Type of Voter Registers’ and ‘Electoral Systems and Practices’.
About India International Institute of Democracy and Election Management (IIIDEM)
- IIDEM is an advanced resource centre of learning, research, training and extension for participatory democracy and election management.
- It has been developed in collaboration with the Union Government, United Nations, Commonwealth and inter-governmental organisations like Sweden based International Institute of Democracy and Electoral Assistance (IDEA).
- It is a national and international hub for exchange of good practices in election management.
- It has four components (i) Training and Capacity Development, (ii) Voter Education and Civic Participation, (iii) Research, Innovation and Documentation and (iv) International Projects and Technical Collaboration.
Maldivian Parliament Majlis has voted overwhelmingly to impeach Vice President Ahmed Adeeb Abdul Ghafoor in an extraordinary sitting.
Impeachment motion: 61 parliamentarians of Majlis out of the total 85 present, voted in favour of the motion more than 57 votes required to impeach the Vice President. The main opposition group Maldivian Democratic Party (MDP) remained abstained in voting.
- Adeeb is the second Vice President to be impeached in Maldives after impeachment of his predecessor Mohamed Jameel since June 2015.
- He has been charged with plotting to assassinate the President Yameen Abdul Gayoom in an explosion on his speedboat on September 2015.
- The political crisis in the island nation has intensified recently, after President Yameen had declared national emergency for one month.
- For treason, Adeeb Gayoom will be tried under Maldivian government’s recently passed tough terrorism law. If found guilty, he could face up to 25 years in jail.
Several countries including United States, United Kingdom and international human rights groups have urged the Maldives government to end the national emergency.
Maldives is comprises 1192 small tropical coral islands in Indian Ocean with a population of around 3.4 lakhs, mainly Sunni Muslims. Its economy is mainly based on tourist trade and is better known for its beaches and luxury island resorts. The country had a difficult transition to democracy since holding its first multiparty election in 2008 and since then it is facing numerous political crisis .