Maldives Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
Indian-American Atul Keshap has been appointed as the United States (US) Ambassador to Maldives and Sri Lanka.
With this appointment he became the second Indian-origin US diplomat to be posted as Ambassador to the region after Richard Rahul Verma (US Ambassador to India).
Presently he is working as Deputy Assistant Secretary of US in South and Central Asian Affairs in the Bureau of State Department. He is a former official of US Embassy in India.
About Atul Keshap
- Keshap was born in Nigeria in June, 1971.
- His father Keshap Chander Sen who was a UN development economist working in Nigeria hailed from Punjab. His mother, Zoe Calvert, was in the US Foreign Service.
- Diplomat Career: Keshap had joined the US Foreign Service in 1994. From 2005 to 2008, he had served as the deputy political counsellor at the U.S. Embassy in New Delhi.
- He also had served as special assistant for the North Africa, Middle East and South Asia for the under-secretary of state for political affairs.
- In 2003, he was appointed as director for Middle Eastern and North African regional affairs on the National Security Council in the White House.
- From 2008 to 2010, he also had served as the Director for UN Human Rights in the Bureau of International Organization Affairs.
India is going to host the 5th meeting of the South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation (SAARC) Health Ministers in New Delhi.
The 5th meeting will start on 9 April 2015 and is being held in pursuance of decisions taken by the SAARC Summit of Heads of States held at Kathmandu in November 2014.
Purpose of the meeting- Find out ways and means to synergise collective efforts in order to provide better health and a better quality of life to the citizens of SAARC countries. It also seeks to implement identified best practices and share strategies among member countries.
The meeting will
- Deliberate on key issues including HIV-AIDS, prevention of non-communicable and communicable diseases and to strengthen collaborations amongst the member nations.
- Frame a road map for strengthening collaboration among SAARC countries on a number of issues and challenges faced by them.
Maldives had hosted the 4th meeting of the SAARC Health Ministers in April 2012.