Noted theatre personality and popular yesteryear Odia film actress Manimala Devi passed away in Bhubaneswar, Odisha due to old-age-related complications. She was 86.
She was among the first generation artistes in the state and had ruled the Odia film industry as lead actress in the 1960s with her influential performances in various films.
About Manimala Devi
- Born on 19 June 1931 at Balibishi village of Kendrapara district. She had started her acting career as a child artiste at the tender age of eight after joining Annapurna Theatre.
- In her long and illustrious acting career, she had acted in over 40 feature films (28 Odia films) and also acted in over 100 plays.
- Her 14 films have bagged the national award, including her debut film ‘Sri Loknath’ in 1960.
- As a leading actress, she featured in films like Bhai Bhauja, Laxmi, Malajanha, Kaa, Abhinetri and Suryamukhi, which also bagged a number of awards.
- Awards and Honours: She was conferred with the prestigious Jayadev Purashkar, the Odisha state’s highest cine award in 2000.