Manjula Chellur Current Affairs - 2020
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
Justice Manjula Chellur took oath as Chairperson of Appellate Tribunal for Electricity (ATE), Ministry of Power. Prior to this appointment, she was Chief Justice of Bombay High Court. She has been appointed for a period of 3 years or until further orders, whichever is earlier.
Justice Manjula Chellur
Smt. Justice Manjula Chellur was born on 5th December, 1955 in Karnataka. She received her Bachelor of Arts degree from Allum Sunmangalamma Women’s College, Bellary. Later she had earned her law degree from Renukacharya Law College, Bangalore. In 1977, Supreme Court of India had sponsored her on Gender & Law fellowship to England’s University of Warwick.
She was first woman Chief Justice of Calcutta High Court. She also served as Chief Justice of Kerala High Court and first female judge of Karnataka High Court. She was second woman to be appointed as Chief Justice of Bombay High Court in 2016 and retired in December, 2017.
Appellate Tribunal for Electricity (ATE)
It has been established by Union Ministry of Power in April 2004 by virtue of Section 110 of The Electricity Act, 2003. It has jurisdiction throughout India has been set up to hear appeals or original petitions against orders of Adjudicating officer or The Central Regulatory Commission or State Regulatory Commission or Joint Commission constituted under Electricity Act. It is conferred with original jurisdiction to hear petitions under Section 121 of the Act and issue directions to any appropriate commission for performance of its statutory functions. It consists of Chairperson and three other Members. Every Bench constituted by Chairperson consists of at least one Judicial Member and one Technical Member. The tribunal ordinarily sits at Delhi.
Tags: Appellate Tribunal for Electricity • appointments • Manjula Chellur • Persons in News
Justice Manjula Chellur has sworn in as the new Chief Justice of the Bombay High Court. She succeeded CJ Dhirendra Hiralal Waghela who has retired.
She was administered the oath of office by Maharashtra Governor C Vidyasagar Rao at the swearing-in ceremony held at Raj Bhavan in Mumbai.
She is the second woman Chief Justice of the Bombay HC, after Sujata Manohar in 1994. Prior to this posting, she was serving as the Chief Justice of the Calcutta HIgh Court.
About Manjula Chellur
- Justice Manjula Chellur was born on December 5, 1955 in Karnataka. She had law degree in 1977 and also started practising law in same year.
- She was the first woman advocate to practice in Bellary district in Karnataka. She was also the first woman to become a district judge in 1988.
- She had handled several important cases both on civil and criminal sides. She also had served as legal advisor for several banks, agro industries.
- In 2000, she was appointed as the first woman judge of Karnataka High Court. She was appointed as the Acting Chief Justice of the Kerala High Court in November 2011.
- She had sworn-in as the Chief Justice of the Kerala High Court in September 2012 and was transferred to Calcutta High Court in 2014.
Tags: appointments • Bombay High Court • Judiciary • Maharashtra [MPSC] • Manjula Chellur