Marathi Current Affairs
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
Renowned Marathi literary scholar Dr. Ramchandra Chintaman Dhere passed away after prolonged illness in Pune, Maharashtra. He was 86.
He was an Insightful scholar who had unraveled the Cultural linkage between the past and the present through his path-breaking literally research on various subjects.
About Dr. R C Dhere
- Born on 21 July 1930 at Nigade village near Pune. He had completed his graduation in 1966. He got his Ph.D. in 1975 and was honored with D.Lit. in 1980 by Pune University.
- Since 1955 he has been writing on various subjects including saint literature, Folk deities and gods, Bhakti cult, Holy places, Folk literature, Folk culture and Folk art in India.
- He has written about 105 books based on his research work on various subjects.
- Some of his famous books are History of Nath Cult, Chakrapani, History of Datta Cult, Lajjagauri, Khandoba, Shree Tulja Bhavani and In Search of Indian Theater.
- Awards and Honours: Maharashtra Gaurav award, Sahitya Acadamy Award (1987), Maharashtra Sahitya Parishad award etc.
Eminent Marathi poet Mangesh Padgaonkar passed away in Mumbai, Maharashtra on after a brief illness. He was 86.
He was iconic Marathi poet best known for many poetry recitation programmes and for writing lyrics for many Marathi films.
About Mangesh Padgaonkar
- Born on 10 March 1929 in Vengurla, Sindhudurg District of Maharashtra. He had received a Master of Arts (MA) degree in Marathi and Sanskrit from the University of Bombay.
- Padgaonkar had served as an editor at the US Information Service (USIS) both in Mumbai from 1970 to 1990.
- He had 40 publications to his credit of which US Library of Congress has acquired 31 publications.
- He had peened famous Marathi songs Ya Jaganyawar Shatada Prem Karawe, Shukratara Mand Wara and Bhatukalichya Khelamadhali.
- Padgaonkar also had penned University of Pune’s theme song Punyamayee De Amha Akshar Vardaan in 1983.
- He had translated works of Mirabai (6th century mystic poet and devotee of Krishna) and published a book Mira in 1965. He also had translated Bible: The New Testament in Marathi in 2008.
- He translated works of Surdas and Kabir in Marathi and also Shakespeare’s plays The Julius Ceasar, Tempest and Romeo and Juliet.
- Awards and Honours: Sahitya Academy Award (1980) for his collection of poems Salam, MP Literary Conference Award (1956), Maharashtra State Award in 1953 and 1955, Maharashtra Bhushan Award (2008) and Padma Bhushan (2013). He was President of the second Vishwa Marathi Sahitya Sammelan held in Dubai in 2010.