Margaret Atwood Current Affairs
Canadian poet, novelist, literary critic, essayist, and environmental activist Margaret Atwood was chosen for the prestigious 2016 Pen Pinter Prize.
She will formerly receive the award at a public event scheduled to be held on 13 October 2016 at the British Library.
About Margaret Atwood
- She is best known for her work as a novelist and her famous novels are The Handmaid’s Tale, The Robber Bride and The Year of the Flood etc.
- She has published fifteen books of poetry and many of her poems have been inspired by myths and fairy tales.
- She also has published short stories different magazines and also published four collections of stories and three collections of unclassifiable short prose works.
- She is also the inventor and developer of the LongPen and associated technologies that facilitate the remote robotic writing of documents.
- She is the Co-Founder and a Director of Syngrafii Inc. a company that she started in 2004 to develop, produce and distribute the LongPen technology.
- She is also a founder of the Writers’ Trust of Canada, a non-profit literary organization that seeks to encourage Canada’s writing community.
- Awards and Honours: She is a winner of the Prince of Asturias Award for Literature and Arthur C. Clarke Award. She was shortlisted for the Booker Prize five times and had won it once. In 2001, she was inducted into Canada’s Walk of Fame.
About PEN Pinter Prize
- The PEN Pinter Prize is an annual literary award given to a British writer or a writer resident in Britain of outstanding literary merit.
- The award is bestowed writer who has showed a fierce intellectual determination to define the real truth of our lives and our societies.
- It was launched in 2009 by English PEN in honour of the late Nobel Literature Prize-winning playwright Harold Pinter.
- The award is one of the many PEN literary awards sponsored by PEN International affiliates.
- The 2015 PEN Pinter Prize was awarded to British poet and journalist James Fenton.