Mass Media Current Affairs
India and Jordan have 12 agreements covering areas as diverse as defence, mass media, health, culture and tourism. These agreements were signed after the highlevel talks between Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Jordanian King Abdullah II bin Al-Hussein in New Delhi. Jordanian King was on three days visit to India. It was his only second to India, that too after more than a decade.
Signed Agreements are
- MoU on Defence Cooperation
- Cultural Exchange Programme (CEP)
- Customs Mutual Assistance Agreement
- MoU between PrasarBharati and Jordan TV
- Twining Agreement between Agra and Petra (Jordan)
- Visa waiver for diplomatic and official passport holders
- MoU for long term supply of Rock Phosphate and Fertilizer/NPK
- MoU for setting up of the next generation Centre of Excellence (COE) in Jordan
- MoU for cooperation in the field of Health and Medicine between India and Jordan
- MoU between University of Jordan (UJ) and ICCR regarding setting up of a Hindi Chair at the University
- Cooperation between Indian Institute of Mass Communication (IIMC) and Jordan Media Institute (JMI)
Both countries had established diplomatic relations in 1950 after India became independent in 1947. Recent years have witnessed decisive impetus to the bilateral partnership. Both countries are facing common threat of terrorism and extremism. Over the last few years, political, security and economic developments in West Asia are helping the two countries re-discover each other.
India is Jordan’s fourth largest trading partner. Bilateral trade between both countries has totalled US $2.2 billion in 2014-15. India exported $1.4 billion worth of goods to Jordan, and imported $857 million. Since 2012-13, the balance of trade has been in India’s favour.
The Union Cabinet has approved the MoU on Cooperation in the field of Mass Media between India and Bangladesh.
Decision in this regard was taken at the Union Cabinet Meeting chaired by the Prime Minister Narendra Modi in New Delhi.
Salient features of the MoU
- Both countries will facilitate training and study tour of personnel in the field of mass media and public relations. They will encourage the exchange of experts in the field of Mass Media
- They will also encourage cooperation between educational, training and research institutions in field of Mass Media & Communication and exchange of publications generated by these institutions.
- They will facilitate co-operation and sharing experiences in the field of regulations of the Mass Media activities and statistical data relating to the Mass Media.
- They will also facilitate accredited mass media representatives to set up offices in the creation of conditions necessary for performance of professional duties on the basis of reciprocity.