Medha Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
First fully India-made train (rake) Medha was flagged off at Dadar station in Mumbai, capital of Maharashtra by Railway Minister Suresh Prabhu via videoconferencing.
The rake (group of coaches) costs Rs.43.23 crore, approximately Rs. 1 crore less than imported German-made Bombardier rake, which is Rs. 44.36 crore. It will save foreign exchange worth $50 lakh per EMU rake along with 25% manufacturing cost.
Key Features of Medha
- It has been manufactured by the Integral Coach Factory (ICF) in Chennai, Tamil Nadu.
- Its rake with 12 coaches has capacity of 6,050 passengers and 1,168 seats. It has in-built systems to minimise breakdowns during the travel.
- It is fitted with a high power fully Made in India 3-phase propulsion system and powered by Hyderabad-based firm Medha Servo Drives.
- The rake can run at a speed of 110 kmph, whereas local trains run at maximum 90 or 100 kmph. Like the existing rakes, it has cushioned seats in first class and stainless steel seats in general compartments.
- It also has LED lighting which reduces energy consumption by approximately 30-35% as compared to the existing rakes.
- It is also fitted with GPS-based information system to indicate the stations and also has a facility that will help motormen communicate with a guard in case of emergencies.
- The rake also has modular roof-mounted forced ventilation system which supplies 16000 cubic m/hr fresh air into the passenger area.