Mehbooba Mufti Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
Jammu and Kashmir Government has launched Jhelum-Tawi flood recovery project to give push to the reconstruction and rehabilitation of infrastructure post-2014 floods in the state.
The project which is funded World Bank was formally launched Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti in Srinagar.
- The project was conceptualised and pursued by former Chief Minister Mufti Muhammad Sayeed in the aftermath of devastating floods of 2014 in the state.
- It aims at reconstructing and recovering support in flood-affected areas in which public infrastructure and livelihoods were impacted severely.
- It will focus on 20 flood-affected districts in state. As a follow up the Union Government and World Bank had signed a $250 million credit agreement for the project.
- The loan was provided by International Development Association, the World Bank’s concessionary lending arm. It has maturity of 25 years, including a 5 year grace period.
In September 2014, continuous unprecedented heavy rainfall had caused Jhelum, Chenab and Tawi rivers and their tributaries to flow above the danger mark. These overflowing rivers had flooded the catchment areas, particularly low lying ones for more than two weeks. It had severely affected livelihoods and had damaged the basic infrastructure in the state.
Tags: Floods • Jammu and Kashmir • Mehbooba Mufti • States
Mehbooba Mufti Sayeed (56) took oath as the first woman Chief Minister of Jammu and Kashmir, bringing to an end the three-month Governor’s Rule in the state.
She was administered oath to the office by Governor NN Vohra at Raj Bhawan in the winter capital city of Jammu. Along with her 22 member council of ministers from BJP-PDP alliance also took oath. BJP leader Nirmal Singh took oath as Deputy Chief Minister of the state.
Mehbooba Mufti succeeds her father Mufti Mohammad Sayeed in the role who had died in January 2016.
She is also second Muslim woman to become the Chief Minister of a state in India after Syeda Anwara Taimur who had served as the first Muslim woman CM of Assam from 1980 to 1981.
About Mehbooba Mufti Sayeed
- Born on 22 May 1959 in Akhran Nowpora, Jammu and Kashmir.
- She is the president of the Jammu and Kashmir Peoples Democratic Party (PDP).
- She is currently a Member of Parliament, representing Anantnag constituency in the 16th Lok Sabha and shall vacate this role in light of her Chief Ministership.
- Previously, she also had represented Anantnag constituency in the 14th Lok Sabha (2004-09).
After the death of then CM Mufti Mohammad Sayeed on 7 January 2016 due to ill health, the state government of J&K had lapsed. Since then it was under the Governor’s rule.
The PDP-BJP coalition has 56 MLAs in the 87-member J&K Assembly. The PDP have 27 members while BJP have 25.