MeitY Current Affairs - 2020
Tech giant Google and Union Ministry of Electronics and IT (MeitY) launched ‘Build for Digital India’ programme for engineering students. Google and Meity have signed a statement of intent for rolling out the programme.
About ‘Build for Digital India’ programme
Objective: The programme will offer a platform to engineering students for developing market-ready, technology-based solutions that addresses key social problems.
Process: Applicants will take part in online and offline learning opportunities on key technologies which includes Machine Learning (ML), Cloud and Android that will be offered by Google’s Developer Student Club network and other Google Developer networks.
Google will also offer mentorship sessions in strategy, product design and technology to most promising products and prototypes.
Addressing key social problems:
As part of programme, engineering students across India will be invited to present their ideas and solutions in areas such as education, agriculture, healthcare, women safety, infrastructure, smart cities, smart mobility and transportation, environment, accessibility and disability as well as digital literacy.
AI can help address the toughest social challenges of India:
Advanced new technologies such as Machine Learning (ML) and artificial intelligence (AI) can help address at scale some of toughest social challenges that India faces today.
Significance: This initiative will not only motivate college students across India to innovate but will also produce some good technology solutions for some major social challenges of India.
It will also inspire and equip young engineers with technical and entrepreneurial skills and mentorship they need to turn their bright ideas into tomorrow’s breakthrough solutions.
Tags: Artificial Intelligence • Build for Digital India programme • Digital India • Engineering Students • Google
The Union Cabinet chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi has approved Pradhan Mantri Kisan Pension Yojana, a new Central Sector Scheme (CSS), to provide pension cover to farmers. This decision was taken at the first Cabinet meeting after formation of new Government (second term) of Modi Government.
Key Features of Scheme
- It is voluntary and contributory pension scheme for all Small and Marginal Farmers (SMF) across the country.
- Eligibility: Entry age of 18 to 40 years with provision of minimum fixed pension of Rs.3,000 on attaining the age of 60 years.
- Contribution: Beneficiary farmer of this scheme is required to contribute Rs 100 per month at median entry age of 29 years. Central Government will also contribute to Pension Fund an equal amount as contributed by eligible farmer.
- After subscriber’s death (while receiving pension), spouse of SMF beneficiary is entitled to receive 50% of pension received by beneficiary as family pension, provided he/she is not already an SMF beneficiary of this scheme. In case of death of subscriber happens during period of contribution, the spouse shall have the option of continuing scheme by paying regular contribution.
- Synergy between PM Kisan Scheme: Beneficiary farmers of this scheme can opt to allow his/her monthly contribution to be made from benefits drawn from Pradhan Mantri KisanSAmman Nidhi (PM-KISAN) Scheme directly. Alternatively, beneficiary farmer can pay his monthly contribution by registering through Common Service Centres (CSCs) under Union Ministry of Information and Technology (MeitY).