Menstrual Hygiene Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
The Union Ministry of Chemicals & Fertilizers has launched ‘Suvidha’, a 100% Oxo-biodegradable Sanitary Napkin, under Pradhan Mantri Bhartiya Janaushadhi Pariyojana (PMBJP). It was launched by Union Minister for Chemicals & Fertilizers and Parliamentary Affairs Ananthkumar on the occasion of International Woman’s day.
The affordable Suvidha sanitary napkins will be available for Rs. 2.50 per pad at over 3200 Janaushadhi Kendras across India. It was launched under government’s vision of providing Affordable and Quality Healthcare for All. It will ensure ‘Swachhta, Swasthya and Suvidha’ for underprivileged women. It will ensure affordability, hygiene as well as ease of use and disposal of sanitary napkins.
SUVIDHA napkin has special additive added in it, which makes it biodegradable when it reacts with oxygen after it is used and discarded. It will go long way in making basic hygiene requirement aid for women affordable especially for the underprivileged sections. It will be physically available at all Janaushadhi Kendras in country by World Menstrual Hygiene Day (May 28, 2018).
According to National Family Health Survey (NHFS) 2015-16, about 58% of women aged between 15 to 24 years use locally prepared napkins, sanitary napkins and tampons. Further, only 48% women in rural areas have access to clean sanitary napkins and about 78% women in urban areas use hygienic methods of protection during menstrual period. The use unhygienic aids during menstrual period due to non-affordability of some of branded of sanitary napkins causes fungal infections, Urinary Tract Infection, Reproductive Tract Infection, Cervical cancer and also make women vulnerable to infertility. Moreover, the disposal of non-biodegradable sanitary napkins creates a huge environmental problem.
Pradhan Mantri Bhartiya Janaushadhi Pariyojana (PMBJP)
The scheme was launched by Department of Pharmaceuticalsto provide quality medicines at affordable prices to masses through special kendra’s known as PMBJP. These special kendras provide generic drugs, which are available at lesser prices but are equivalent in quality and efficacy as expensive branded drugs.
- Making quality medicines available at affordable prices for all, particularly the poor and disadvantaged, through exclusive outlets Jan Aushadhi Medical Store.
- Reduce out of pocket expenses in healthcare by bringing down healthcare budget of every citizen through providing Quality generic Medicines at Affordable Prices.
- Create awareness among public regarding generic medicines.
- Create demand for generic medicines through medical practioners.
- Provide all commonly used generic medicines covering all therapeutic groups.
- Provide all related health care products too under the scheme.
- Create awareness through education and awareness program that high price need not be synonymous with high quality.
Tags: Government Schemes • Menstrual Hygiene • Ministry of Chemicals and Fertilizers • Oxo-biodegradable Sanitary Napkin • Pradhan Mantri Bhartiya Janaushadhi Pariyojana • Suvidha Napkins • Women Empowerment • Women Related Issues
The Union Ministry of Health and Family Welfare has launched #YesIBleed menstrual hygiene campaign on the occasion of International Women’s Day 2018. It is second edition of such campaign that aims to create holistic approach to issue of menstruation, which is experience that transcends culture, class, and caste.
The “#Yes I Bleed” campaign has been initiated formally across all multi-media platforms, including Facebook and YouTube to spread awareness about issue. The National Commission of Women (NCW) has extended full support to Shewings in endevour to spread awareness about the core issue of every woman’s concern.
The United Nations has recognised menstrual hygiene as global public health and human rights issue. Yet across the globe, period poverty as some call it, is reality for millions of women and girls. Menstruation is still taboo subject in India and even women are uncomfortable discussing in public. There is nothing to be ashamed of. It is a natural physiological process
According to the results of the study, “Sanitary Protection: Every Woman’s Health Right”, only 12% of Indian women have access to sanitary napkins and remaining 88% have no access as they find sanitary pads unaffordable. The use unsanitised cloth, tree leaves, husk sand and even ash. These can cause severe reproductive health problems and infections and can also lead to cervical cancer.
In India’s rural areas, women lack of resources, education and awareness about personal hygiene and hygiene products and don’t even have any conversation around menstruation. It is necessary for people to understand that menstrual hygiene is of utmost importance and there should be openness about puberty and menstrual hygiene in the country.