MGR Current Affairs - 2020
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
The Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu K Palaniswami has unveiled MGR Centenary Arch on Kamaraj Salai of Chennai.
MGR Centenary Arch
- The MGR Centenary Arch has been built at an estimated cost of 2.52 crore, from the state Secretariat.
- The Centenary Arch 66 feet wide and 52 feet height was proposed to commemorate the birth centenary of the late chief minister MG Ramachandran.
- The division bench of Madras High Court had passed an interim order restraining the state government from inaugurating the arch, off the famous Marina beach, till disposal of public interest litigation petition opposing it last year.
- The Madras High Court had permitted the Tamil Nadu government to unveil the arch but without any ceremony.
Why the Centenary Arch was challenged?
- It was alleged that the arch was constructed by encroaching on arterial Kamarajar Salai and its pedestrian space meant for public use was in total violation of various legislations.
- The Tamil Nadu Highways Act does not permit any permanent structure can be constructed either on the middle or the pathway of a road.
DR M G Ramachandran
DR M G Ramachandran popularly known as M. G. R is an actor, filmmaker and politician who served as the Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu for ten years between 1977 and 1987. He has been also honoured with the Bharat Ratna.
Tags: Bharat Ratna • Chennai • DR M G Ramachandran • Kamaraj Salai • MGR
Tamil Nadu Chief Minister Edappadi K Palaniswami released two commemorative coins in the denominations of Rs 100 and Rs 5 to mark the 102nd birth anniversary of DR M G Ramachandran. The first sets of coins were received by Deputy Chief Minister O Panneerselvam at an event organised at the Tamil Nadu MGR Medical University.
The commemorative coins bear the portrait of Ramachandran at the centre along with the inscription ‘DR M G Ramachandran Birth Centenary’ on the lower periphery.
Commemorative coins in India
Commemorative coins are issued to celebrate some special occasion or to mark a special event or as a mark of respect towards some distinguished individuals or monument.
The first Commemorative coin in Independent India was issued in 1964 to commemorate the birth anniversary of India’s first Prime Minister Jawaharlal Nehru. Thereafter many Commemorative coins have been issued.
The lower denomination commemorative coins are usually for general circulation and their metal composition is usually in line with the regular coins, whereas the higher denomination commemorative coins usually contain some silver and are meant for collection purposes only.
DR M G Ramachandran
DR M G Ramachandran popularly known as M. G. R is an actor, filmmaker and politician who served as the Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu for ten years between 1977 and 1987.