Ministry of Agriculture Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
The 22nd meeting of Board of Mangement (BOM) of Small Farmers’ Agri-Business Consortium (SFAC) was held in New Delhi. It was chaired by Union Agriculture and Farmers Welfare Minister Radha Mohan Singh. Various activities of SFAC were reviewed during meeting.
Small Farmers Agribusiness Consortium
SFAC is an autonomous society promoted by Union Ministry of Agriculture, Cooperation and Farmers’ Welfare. It was established in 1994 and is registered under Societies Registration Act 1860. It is also registered as Non-Banking Financial Institution (NBFC) by Reserve Bank of India (RBI).
Its fundamental objective is to link small farmers to agricultural value chain, which includes investments, technology and markets in association with private, corporate or cooperative sector. It also provides capital support in form of Venture Capital Assistance (VCA) and Project Development Facility (PDF) for economic inclusion of small and marginal farmers in agribusiness activities.
It also promotes farmer producer organisations (FPOs) and their integration in agriculture value chain. Recently it was entrusted with task of implementation of critically important Delhi KisanMandi and National Agriculture Market Scheme (NAM) on e-platform to progressively free agricultural trade and offer price discovery to farmers.
The Union Agriculture Ministry has joined hands with the National Remote Sensing Centre (NRSC), a wing of Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) for geo-tagging agricultural assets.
In this regard, Agriculture Ministry under the Rashtriya Krishi Vikas Yojna (RKVY) and NRSC have signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU).
- The move will help bring transparency in governance due to real-time monitoring and effective utilisation of agricultural assets such as ponds, crop area, warehouses and laboratories etc.
- At present, officials provide information on the assets manually, so there is no transparency. Geo-tagging will provide realistic status of assets.
- It will not only help in monitoring and utilising assets but will be useful in formulating schemes for development in the agricultural sector. It will also help in avoiding duplication of data.
- Utilisation of space technology will help farmers to further get access to pesticide testing labs, storage infrastructure, and market-related information.
Geotagging: It is the process of adding geographical identification like latitude and longitude to various media such as a photo or video. It helps user to find a wide variety of location-specific information from a device. It provides users the pinpoint location of the content of a given picture.
Geomapping: It is a visual representation of the geographical location of geotagged assets layered on top of map or satellite imagery.
About Rashtriya Krishi Vikas Yojana
- RKVY is a special Additional Central Assistance Scheme which launched in August 2007 as a part of the 11th Five Year Plan.
- It was aimed to orient agricultural development strategies, to reaffirm its commitment to achieve 4% annual growth in the agricultural sector during the 11th plan (2007–11).
- It was launched to incentivize the States to provide additional resources in their State Plans over and above their baseline expenditure to bridge critical gaps.