Ministry of Agriculture Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
The ‘National Scheme for Welfare of Fishermen’ will continue during the 12th Plan Period as the Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs (CCEA) has approved for the same.
National Scheme for Welfare of Fishermen (NSWF):
- Devised by: The Department of Animal Husbandry, Dairying and Fisheries, Ministry of Agriculture.
- Objectives: Provision of basic amenities like drinking water and sanitation in fishing villages, better living standards for fishermen and their families. It also envisages social security for active fishermen and their dependants, and strives to ensure their economic security.
Key benefits to be provided under this scheme in 12th Plan Period:
- Outlay: Rs 640 crore
- Construction of additional 4,600 houses per year
- Coverage of 3.5 lakh fishermen under saving-cum-relief every year
- Additional coverage of 3 lakh fishermen under group accident insurance
- Amount of assistance and compensation to fishermen for the cost of construction of a house has been enhanced from Rs 50,000 to Rs 75,000.
- Cost of the construction of a tubewell has been increased to Rs 40,000 from Rs 30,000 for all states and Union territories, and Rs 45,000 from Rs 35,000 for North Eastern states.