Ministry of Communications & Information Technology Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
The Minister of State for Communications Manoj Sinha has launched three new initiatives, namely, BSNL’s satellite phone service; Pandit Deen Dayal Upadhyaya Telecom Skill Excellence Award Scheme & Pandit Deen Dayal Upadhyaya Sanchar Kaushal Vikas Pratisthan Scheme.
BSNL’s satellite phone service will be offered in a phased manner. In the first phase, the service will be extended to the government agencies handling a disaster, state police, railways, Border security forces and other government agencies. In the subsequent phases, the phone service would be offered to those people who are travelling in flight and ships. Global satellite phone service is modern satellite phone service.
Under Pandit Deen Dayal Upadhyaya Sanchar Kaushal Vikas Pratisthan Scheme, the ministry will impart training to 10,000 people from 10 States/UTs in the first phase. States like Uttar Pradesh, Bihar, Odisha, Punjab and Haryana will get benefitted in the first phase. Further, the Department of Telecommunications (DoT) plans to established more than 1,000 Sanchar Kaushal Vikas Pratisthan in future.
In addition, a new award called Deen Dayal Upadhyaya Telecom Skill Excellence Award has been instituted to recognize achievers and talents in Telecom sector.
The Employees’ Provident Fund Organization (EPFO) will provide permanent account numbers to it’s’ over five crore subscribers from October, 2014.
- EPFO is a statutory body of the Government of India under the Ministry of Labour and Employment. It administers a compulsory contributory Provident Fund Scheme, Pension Scheme and an Insurance Scheme. (Headquarters: New Delhi).
Permanent or Universal Account Number (UAN)
- Purpose: To provide great relief to those workers in organized sector who frequently change jobs, particularly, in the construction sector.
- Will facilitate subscribers to avoid filing Provident Fund (PF) account transfer claims on changing jobs.
- Subscriber would not be issued new PF account number on joining new employer.
- The UAN would be one account number which would be allotted to a subscriber for various schemes run by the EPFO for his or her entire service period with different employers.
- The roadmap for implementing the UAN programme will be prepared by Centre for Development of Advanced Computing (C-DAC).
- Benefit: UAN will help to reduce the workload of the EPFO to a great extent as it receives over 12 lakh claims for transfer of PF account on changing of jobs by its subscribers.
Note: The C-DAC is the premier research and development organization under the Union Ministry of Communications & Information Technology for carrying out R&D in IT, Electronics and associated areas.