Ministry of Defence Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
The Ordnance Factory Board (OFB) has received clearance from the Indian Army and the Ministry of Defence for production of 114 ‘Dhanush’ long-range artillery guns.
Dhanush Long Range Artillery Guns
The features of the Dhanush long-range artillery guns are:
- Dhanush Long Range Artillery Guns are the first ever indigenous 155 mm x 45 calibre long-range artillery gun.
- Dhanush Long Range Artillery Guns are equipped with inertial navigation-based sighting system, auto-laying facility, onboard ballistic computation and an advanced day and night direct firing system.
- The self-propulsion unit on Dhanush allows the gun to negotiate and deploy itself in mountainous terrains with ease.
- Dhanush is also electronically upgraded to enhance firing accuracies, laying speeds of the existing gun and to provide compatibility with various kinds of ammunition as well.
- Dhanush howitzer is an improved version of Bofors guns acquired by India between 1987 and 1991.
- Dhanush howitzer is a reverse-engineered upgraded variant of the original Bofors design.
- Dhanush reportedly has a new maximum effective range of 38 kilometres in salvo mode.
- Dhanush howitzer is capable of firing eight rounds per minutes and needs a crew of six to eight artillerymen.
Ordnance Factory Board
Indian Ordnance Factories organisation is a family of 41 Ordnance Factories under the aegis of its corporate headquarters Ordnance Factory Board, Kolkata. It works under the aegis of Ministry of Defence.
The ordnance factories form an integrated base for the indigenous production of defence hardware and equipment. The primary objective of the ordnance factories is achieving self-reliance in equipping the armed forces with state of the art battlefield equipment.
The 12th edition of Aero India, Aero India 2019, will be held at Air Force Station at Yelahanka in Bengaluru from February 20 to 24. Aero India 2019 aims to provide a significant platform in bolstering business opportunities in the International aviation sector.
Aero India Exhibition/Show is organised every two years. Aero India has carved a niche for itself globally as a premier aerospace exhibition, with eleven successful editions organised since 1996. The show aims at giving a fillip to the rapidly growing economy, defence production and participation of private players.
Aero India 2019
The Aero India 2019 has a tagline “The Runway to a Billion Opportunities” and has a logo inspired by the Tejas Light Combat Aircraft (LCA). The Ministry of Defence has planned following events during the Aero India 2019:
- Start-up Day
The Start-up day would witness a start-up showcase event on February 21 to tap into the highly motivated entrepreneurial talent pool of the country. The showcase event is aimed at providing the platform for interactions between the domestic and international start-up community, key policymakers in the Indian defence sector, and CEOs of leading Indian and global start-ups.
- Womens’ Day
Women’s Day would be organised On February 23 to showcase achievements made by women in the aerospace sector on February 23. The Women’s Day would witness felicitation of women achievers, unveiling of the brochure highlighting achievements of women, experience sharing by leading women in Aero-Space Sector and flying display by women pilots, paratroopers etc.
- Drone Olympics
Drone Olympics provides an opportunity for all the UAV manufacturing enthusiasts to showcase the capabilities of the Drones they are manufacturing.
- Technology Day/Students Day
Technology Day would be observed on February 22 to provide an opportunity for the students involved in the aerospace sector, both civil and defence to showcase their projects.
- Photography contest
A Photography contest would be held on the theme ‘Flying Objects’.
Tags: Aero India • Aero India 2019 • Air Force Station • Bengaluru • Drone Olympics • Ministry of Defence • Photography contest • Start-up Day • Students Day • Technology Day • Tejas Light Combat Aircraft • The Runway to a Billion Opportunities • Womens’ Day • Yelahanka