Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
Prime Minister Narendra Modi launched a National Common Mobility Card (NCMC), which can be used to make payments across public transport anywhere in the country, including Metro, bus and suburban railways, for toll and parking, and for retail like any credit or debit card.
National Common Mobility Card
- The National Common Mobility Card (NCMC) was envisaged as part of the National Urban Transport Policy (NUTP) in 2006 by the Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs.
- Referred to as ”One Nation One Card”, this inter-operable transport card would allow the holders to pay for their bus travel, toll taxes, parking charges, retail shopping and even withdraw money.
- It runs as on RuPay card and automates the fare collection system. This eliminates the need to carry change and cash while travelling in the metro, bus or train, or for toll and parking.
- The gate and reader prototype for the NCMC has been developed by government-owned Bharat Electronics Limited (BEL) in compliance with the Make in India initiative.
- These cards would be issued by all public and private banks the same way credit, debit, and prepaid cards are issued.
- NCMC provides a value proposition for customers as they need not carry multiple cards for different usage and the super-quick, a contactless transaction will improve the seamless experience.
- A pilot project for the NCMC ecosystem on January 31 with the Delhi Metro Rail Corporation (DMRC).
- The first-level trials were successfully completed in collaboration with CDAC, BEL, National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI), and State Bank of India.
The NCMC was launched by the Prime Minister while inaugurating the first phase of the Ahmedabad metro train service.
Tags: Ahmedabad Metro Rail project • BEL • CDAC • Delhi Metro Rail Corporation • DMRC • Make in India • Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs • National Common Mobility Card • National Payments Corporation of India • National Urban Transport Policy • NCMC • NPCI • One Nation One Card • RuPay card • SBI • State Bank of India
The Raigarh Municipal Corporation of Chhattisgarh has won the “Swachhata Excellence awards 2019”. The municipal corporations of Ambikapur of Chhattisgarh and Kumbakonam of Tamil Nadu have bagged the second and third prizes respectively. All of these are AMRUT cities.
A total of 40 awards were distributed to the Area Level Federations (ALFs), City Livelihoods Federations (CLFs) and Urban Local Bodies (ULBs). These Awards were given by the Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs (MoHUA) as part of the Shehri Samriddhi Utsav.
- Greater Hyderabad Municipal Corporation has been awarded the first prize for the Million Plus Cities.
- Nagar Palika Parishad of Jashpur Nagar (Chhattisgarh), Malappuram Municipality (Kerala), and Nagar Palika Parishad Surajpur (Chhattisgarh) claimed the prizes in the “Statutory Towns” category.
- FromAspirational Districts, Chas Municipal Corporation (Bokaro district of Jharkhand) has been awarded a consolation prize.
What is Shehri Samriddhi Utsav?
The Shehri Samriddhi Utsav was organised by the Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs (MoHUA) from 1st – 15th February 2019. A number of activities and events were organized at the City, State and National level as part of the initiative which aimed at extending the outreach of National Urban Livelihoods Mission (DAY-NULM) to the poorest of the poor and the most vulnerable by showcasing its initiatives and facilitating access of SHG members to the other government schemes.
What is DAY-NULM?
National Urban Livelihoods Mission (NULM) was launched by the Ministry of Housing and Urban Poverty Alleviation (MHUPA), Government of India on 23rd September 2013 by replacing Swarna Jayanti Rozgar Yojana.
DAY-NULM focuses on organizing urban poor in their strong grassroots level institutions, creating opportunities for skill development leading to market-based employment and helping them to set up self-employment venture by ensuring easy access to credit.
The Mission is aimed at providing shelter equipped with essential services to the urban homeless in a phased manner. It encourages the formation of SHGs of those from vulnerable occupations, such as rag pickers and waste pickers.
What are the Swachhata Excellence Awards?
Swachhata Excellence Awards were instituted by Ministry of Housing & Urban Affairs (MoHUA) in 2017, to encourage Area Level Federations (ALFs) of SHGs formed under DAY-NULM, for their initiatives to make their communities Swachh and help their cities achieve the outcomes of Swachha Bharat Mission – Urban (SBM-U).
The City Swachhata Livelihoods Awards for Urban Local Bodies (ULBs) was introduced this year for the ULBs for creating an enabling environment for dignified livelihoods in the sanitation sector.
Tags: Ambikapur • DAY-NULM • Kumbakonam • Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs • National Urban Livelihoods Mission • Raigarh Municipal Corporation • Shehri Samriddhi Utsav • Swachhata Excellence Awards • Swachhata Excellence Awards 2019 • Tamil Nadu