Minorites Current Affairs
The Union Cabinet has extended numerous facilities to persons from minority communities of Afghanistan, Pakistan and Bangladesh namely Hindus, Buddhists, Jains, Sikhs, Parsis and Christians staying in India on Long Term Visa (LTV).
Decision in this regard was taken by Union Cabinet Meeting chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi in New Delhi.
- The move is aims at easing out the difficulties being faced by minority communities.
- Some of the approved facilities include opening of bank account, permission for purchase of property for self-occupation and suitable accommodation.
- It also includes issuing of driving licence, PAN card and Aadhar number, free movement within the State/UT where they are staying and waiver of penalty on non-extension of LTV on time.
- During the last 2 years, Union Government has taken a number of steps to facilitate the stay of persons belonging to minority communities of Afghanistan, Bangladesh and Pakistan.
- However, persons belonging to minority communities staying in India on LTV were facing difficulties with regard to several aspects of living.