Missiles Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
North Korea successfully conducted underwater test-fire of a newly developed submarine-launched ballistic missile.
North Korea’s leader Kim Jong Un gave the order to test-fire the missile and oversaw the test-launch from a location off-shore.
This successful test indicates the progress in the secretive state’s pursuit of building missile-equipped submarines which is described as a world level strategic weapon.
It will also enhance North Korean nuclear threat to a new level as it will allow deployment of these submarines far beyond the Korean peninsula.
It should be noted that North Korea is under United Nations sanctions and is banned from developing or using ballistic missile technology.
Presently, North Korea possesses small submarine fleet that comprises largely obsolete Soviet-era and modified Chinese submarine vessels.
Tags: Current Affairs 2016 • missile technology • Missiles • North Korea
India on 9 April 2015 successfully test fired nuclear weapons-capable Dhanush missile from a ship, off the Odisha coast.
Test- The ship-based missile was launched from an Offshore Patrolling Vessel (OPV), deep inside the Bay of Bengal to test its full range. It successfully hit the target point with high degree of accuracy.
Facts about Dhanush Missile
- Indigenously developed by Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO).
- The surface-to-surface missile is a naval variant of Prithvi missile.
- Capable of carrying of 500 to 1000 kilogram conventional as well as nuclear payload.
- It is a single-stage, liquid-propelled missile and has range of 350 km.
- Capable to target both land-based and sea-based targets. It gives Indian Navy capability to strike enemy targets with great precision.
It should be noted that Dhanush is one of the 5 missiles developed by the DRDO under the Integrated Guided Missile Development Programme (IGMDP).
The previous trial of the missile was successfully conducted in November 2014.