Mission Fingerling Current Affairs
The Union Ministry of Agriculture has launched Mission Fingerling, a programme to enable holistic development and management of fisheries sector in India with a total expenditure of about Rs. 52000 lakh.
The mission aims to achieve the target to enhance fisheries production from 10.79 mmt (2014-15) to 15 mmt by 2020-21 under the Blue Revolution.
- Government has identified 20 States based on their potential and other relevant factors to strengthen the Fish Fingerling production and Fish Seed infrastructure in the country.
- This program will facilitate the establishment of Fingerling rearing pond and hatcheries to ensure the fish production of 426 crores fish fingerling, 25.50 crores Post Larvae of shrimp and crab in the country.
- This will converge in the production of 20 lakh tonnes of fish annually, which will inturn benefit about 4 million families.
- The implementation of this program will supplement the requirement of stocking materials in the country up to a large extent, which is a much needed input to achieve the enhanced fish production.
- Blue Revolution aims to recognize the potential and possibilities in the fisheries sector of the country by unlocking country’s latent potential through an integrated approach.
- In its scope and reach, it focuses on creating an enabling environment for integrated and holistic development and management of fisheries for socio economic development of fishers and fish farmers.
- It gives greater emphasis to infrastructure with an equally strong focus on management and conservation of the resources through technology transfer to increase in the income of the fishers and fish farmers.
- It also seeks to achieve productivity enhancement by employing best global innovations and integration of various production oriented activities viz. production of quality fish seeds, cost effective feed and adoption of technology etc.