Monthly Pension Scheme Current Affairs - 2020
The Union Cabinet chaired by Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi has approved Rs.3000 monthly pension scheme for small retail traders and shopkeepers after they attain the age of 60 years.
Salient Features of Scheme
- About: Under the scheme all small shopkeepers, retail traders and self-employed persons are assured a minimum of Rs.3,000 monthly pension after attaining 60 years of 60 years.
- Beneficiary: The new pension scheme that offers pension coverage to the trading community will cover 3 crore small retail traders and shop keepers.
- Eligibility: All small shopkeepers, self-employed persons and retail traders aged between 18-40 years and with Goods and Service Tax (GST) turnover below Rs.1.5 crore can enrol for pension scheme.
- Enrollment: The scheme is based on self-declaration as no documents are required except bank account and Aadhaar Card. Also, the interested persons can enrol themselves via more than 3,25,000 Common Service Centres (CSC) spread across India.
- Government Contribution: The Central Government will make matching contribution (same amount as subscriber contribution) i.e. equal amount as subsidy into subscriber’s pension account every month.
- Significance: Since ages India has a rich tradition of trade and commerce and our traders make a strong contribution to India’s economic growth. Therefore, cabinet decision will benefit the trading community. This pension scheme is a part of Prime Minister’s vision to provide a robust architecture of universal social security.