Mother Teresa Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
Mother Teresa, a Roman Catholic religious sister and missionary was proclaimed a Saint by Pope Francis in a ceremony at the Vatican.
She was canonised at the ceremony held in St Peter’s Square in Vatican. Indian delegation was represented by Union External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj.
With this, Mother Teresa became the fourth Indian to be canonised as Saint. Others are Father Kuriakose Elias Chavara, Sister Alphonsa and Sister Euphrasia.
The list also includes Saint Gonsalo Garcia of Portuguese parentage who was born in India and is considered an India born saint.
About Mother Teresa
- Mother Teresa was born as Anjezë Gonxhe Bojaxhiu on 26 August 1910 in Skopje (Now in Macedonia) then part of the Kosovo Vilayet in the Ottoman Empire.
- She was the founder of Kolkata based Missionaries of Charity that helps poor on the streets of Kolkata.
- Through the charity organisation, she had spent around 45-years serving the poor, sick, orphaned and dying on the streets of Kolkata.
- She had died at the age of 87 in 1997 in Kolkata.
- Awards and Honours: Padma Shri (1962), Ramon Magsaysay Award (1962), Nobel Peace Prize (1979), Bharat Ratna (1980) etc.
Mother Teresa has been posthumously conferred with the United Kingdom’s prestigious Founders Award 2016.
Teresa’s only living relative Agi Bojazhiu (niece) collected the award on her behalf.
Other category recipients
- Community Service award: Rami Ranger, leading NRI entrepreneur and philanthropist.
- Business Leader of the Year award: Prakash Lohia, Chairman and co-founder of Indorama Corporation.
- Outstanding achievement in Television: Kunal Nayyar, actor from the hit American comedy series The Big Bang Theory.
- Outstanding Achievement in Cinema award: Asif Kapadia, oscar and BAFT-winning documentary-maker.
- Outstanding achievement in Sports award: Son Heung-Min, Tottenham Hotspurs football star of South Korea.
- Entrepreneur of the Year award: Anil Agrawal, founder and Executive Chairman of the metal and mining company, Vedanta Resources Corporation.
- Outstanding achievement in Science and Technology: Shuji Nakamura, inventor of the blue LED.
- Social Entrepreneur of the year accolade: Vikram Patel, the leading mental health researcher from India.
About Founders Award
- The award was launched in 2010 by Paul Sagoo, entrepreneur and founder of the Lemon group.
- It is bestowed upon persons within the global Asian community to recognise and reward their exemplary achievements.
- The award is presented across 14 categories that include business, philanthropy, entertainment, culture and sport.