MoU Current Affairs - 2020
India and Russia signed 14 Memorandum of Understandings at the India-Russia Industrial Conference held at DefExpo 2020, Lucknow. The Agreements were signed under Make in India initiative.
The countries signed agreements related to ASW rocket launchers, T-72, radar systems, 3D modeling, T-90.
The Defence ties of India and Russia has been strong. The countries have also established defence ties through multilateral orgnizations.
India-Russia at multilateral organizations
- The National Security Advisor attended the BRICS Foreign Ministers meet in June 2019. He met President Putin, the Russian President on the sidelines of the meet to strengthen defence ties between the countries
- At the SCO (Shanghai Cooperation Organization), India participated at the fifth edition of the biennial joint military counter terrorist command for the first time in August 2018.
- Russia has been one of the long-standing supporters of India’s membership at the Nuclear Suppliers Group.
- Russia welcomes One Belt One Road initiative of China.
- Russia also welcomes the International North-South Transport Corridor that was held in March 2019. It is a 7,2000 km long international multi-node rail, road and ship route between Europe and Central Asia. It includes India, Russia, Afghanistan, Azerbaijan, Armenia and Europe.
Tags: BRI • BRICS • DefExpo India- 2020 • India-Russia • International North-South Transport Corridor
The Raisina Dialogue was held at New Delhi for four days recently. Leaders from several countries participated in the dialogue. It included foreign ministers from 13 countries including Iran, Australia and Russia. During the Raisina Dialogue, India and Finland signed a defence agreement. Also, Russia announced that it supports India for the latter’s permanent membership at the UNSC (United Nations Security Council)
Russia at Raisina Dialogue
Russia at the Raisina Dialogue questioned the idea of “Indo-Pacific”. It said that the concept of Indo-Pacific is divisive. Russia also believes that the concept of Indo-Pacific isolates China and also aims to move away from ASEAN centred building model.
Russia at the Raisina Dialogue also announced that it backs India for the latter’s permanent UNSC membership. Along with India, Brazil is also seeking permanent membership from UNSC. Russia extended its support to Brazil as well.
On the sidelines of the Raisina Dialogue, India and Finland signed a Defence MoU. The agreement aimed to increase cooperation between the countries in terms of procurement, production, R&D of Defence related equipment. The agreement was under discussion between the countries since DefExpo 2018. It has now been formalized to run up to DefExpo 2020. The talks for the agreement was initiated by PM Modi at the first India-Nordic Summit held at Stockholm.
The Nordic countries are the countries in Northern Europe and North Atlantic. It mainly includes Finland, Denmark, Iceland, Sweden and Norway. At the India-Nordic Summit, the areas of economic growth, global security, climate change and innovation were focused.
Tags: Defence cooperation • defexpo • India-Finland • India-Russia • MoU