Mrinalini Mukherjee Current Affairs
Acclaimed Indian sculptor and artist Mrinalini Mukherjee has passed away in New Delhi. She was 65.
She was best known for her sculptures, crafted using knotted hemp ropes and cast bronzes.
- Ms. Mukherjee was daughter of seminal Santiniketan artists Benode Behari and Leela Mukherjee.
- She had studied painting at M S University in Baroda between 1965 and 1970 and later undertook a post diploma in mural design under K G Subramanyan.
- She was the first Indian artist whose work was displayed at the Sydney Biennale in 1986.
- In 1994, her art sculptures were displayed in the Museum of Modern Art, Oxford and later travelled all over United Kingdom.
- In 2013, her work was included in the The Body in Indian Art, an exhibition curated by Naman Ahuja at Bozar in Brussels.