Myanmar Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
In 2014 fossil of Elektorornis chenguangi, a small bird which lived nearly 99 million years ago, with a weird elongated toe were discovered in amber tree resin in Hukawng Valley of Myanmar.
The study was led by Lida Xing, a palaeontologist at China University of Geosciences who specialises in Cretaceous birds and was published in Current Biology.
Key Finding of Study
The bird was found partially buried in amber (fossilized tree resin) with its lower leg and foot remained undisturbed in hardened tree resin until amber miners eventually discovered fossil in Hukawng Valley in 2014.
Preserved toe of bird measures less than half an inch (O.5 inch) from knuckle to claw-tip, which makes it 41% longer than next longest digit on creature’s foot.
Its elongated toe structure has never been observed in other birds either living or even extinct.
Probable Reason: Elektorornis chenguangi may have used long, sensitive digit to probe cracks in trees for insects and grubs.
The Border Roads Organisation (BRO) was formed on on 7 May 1960, with primary goal of securing India’s borders and developing infrastructure in remote areas of India’s north and north eastern states. On 7 May 2019 BRO celebrated its 59th Raising Day (foundation day).
- It is a leading road construction agency under Ministry of Defence.
- Its primary role is to provide road connectivity in India’s border areas. It also creates up-grades and maintains infrastructure along borders to meet India’s overall tactical and strategic goals.
- Apart from road construction it also executes maintenance works along Northern and Western frontiers mainly to meet strategic requirements of Indian Army. It is responsible for over 53,000 Km roads.
- Its work involves Formation Cutting, Surfacing, Bridge construction and Resurfacing.
- It contributes towards India’s strategic objectives in neighbouring regions by constructing roads in friendly foreign nations like Afghanistan, Bhutan, Myanmar, Sri Lanka and Nepal.
- Disaster management: It has played important role in reconstruction work after tsunami in Tamil Nadu in 2004, Kashmir earthquake in 2005, Ladakh flash floods in 2010 etc.
- To meet challenges of enhancing overall strategic connectivity along borders BRO has begun organizational re-structuring and simplified procedures with adequate delegation of financial powers to executives.
- To enhance its capabilities it is now executing works in combination of departmental, contractual and EPC (Engineering, Procurement and Construction) mode.