Najma Heptulla Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
President Ram Nath Kovind has conferred Outstanding Parliamentarian Awards on five Members of Parliament.
- Dr Najma Heptulla: She is former Rajya Sabha MP. She was selected for this award for the year 2013.
- Hukumdev Narayan Yadav: He is Lok Sabha MP. He was selected for this award for the year for 2014.
- Ghulam Nabi Azad: He is Rajya Sabha and was selected for this award for the year for 2015. He is leader of Opposition in Rajya Sabha representing Congress party.
- Dinesh Trivedi: He is Lok Sabha MP and was selected for 2016.
- Bhartruhari Mahatab: He is Lok Sabha MP and was selected for 2017. He is Biju Janata Dal (BJD) leader.
Outstanding Parliamentarian Award
The award was established in 1992 by Shivraj Patil who was then Speaker of Lok Sabha. Indian Parliamentary Group selects outstanding sitting Member of Parliament after considering his/her overall contribution in Parliament. The award is aimed to motivate elected representatives to work better.
Dr. Najma Heptulla was sworn-in as the 18th Governor of Manipur. She replaced Shanmuganathan who was holding the dual charge of Governor of Meghalaya and Manipur.
She was administered oath of office by Acting Chief Justice of Manipur High Court Rakesh Ranjan Prasad as per the provisions of Article 159 of Constitution of India.
About Dr. Najma Akbarali Heptulla
- Born on 13 April 1940 in Bhopal, Madhya Pradesh. She is five time member of the Rajya Sabha between 1986 and 2012.
- She had served as and Deputy Chairman of the Rajya Sabha for sixteen years in two different terms from 1985 to 1986 and 1988 to 2004.
- She is former vice-president of the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP). In 2007, she had unsuccessfully had contested the 13th vice-presidential election against Hamid Ansari.
- In NDA Government led by Prime Minister Narendra Modi she had served as Union Minister of Minority Affairs from May 2014 to July 2016. She had resigned on age grounds.