Namami Ganga Current Affairs
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
The Union Government has launched Ganga Gram Yojana to develop 1600 villages in Uttar Pradesh (UP) situated along the banks of Ganga River.
The scheme was launched by the Union Minister of Water Resources, River Development and Ganga Rejuvenation Uma Bharti at Puth village in Hapur district of UP.
About Ganga Gram Yojana
- In the first phase of the Ganga Gram Yojana, 200 villages in UP have been selected.
- In these selected villages open drains discharging waste directly into river Ganga will be diverted to sewage treatment facility.
- Government will spend one crore rupees on every village under this programme. It would be mandatory for every household in selected villages to have functional toilets.
- Under this programme, these selected villages will be developed under the Sichewal model (Village in Punjab) which is based on cooperation of the villagers for water management and waste disposal.
Union Ministry of Water Resources, River Development and Ganga Rejuvenation also deployed the first company of Ganga Task force Battalion to fast track implementation of Namami Gange Programme. It was deployed at Garhmukteshwar town in Hapur district of UP.
Union Cabinet chaired by the Prime Minister Narendra Modi approved the flagship Namami Gange Program. The program integrates the efforts to clean and protect the River Ganga in a comprehensive manner by involving differed States and grassroots level institutions.
It has a budgetary outlay of 20000 crore rupees for 2015-20. It will be implemented National Ganga River Basin Authority (NGRBA) with the help of State Program Management Groups (SPMGs).
In order to improve implementation of the program, a three-tier mechanism has been proposed for project monitoring. It will comprise of
- At national level: High level task force chaired by Cabinet Secretary and assisted by NMCG.
- At national level: State level committee chaired by Chief Secretary and assisted by SPMG.
- At District level: District level committee chaired by the District Magistrate.
Focus area of Program
- Pollution abatement interventions by interception, diversion and treatment of wastewater flowing through the open drains through bio-remediation.
- Use of innovative technologies for sewage treatment plants (STPs) and effluent treatment plant (ETPs).
- Rehabilitation and augmentation of existing STPs and immediate short term measures for arresting pollution at exit points on river front to prevent inflow of sewage etc.
Funding: Union government will provide 100% funding for various projects under this program. For this Union Government will adopt Public Private Partnership (PPP) and Special Purpose Vehicle (SPV) approach for pollution hotspots.
Enforcement: In an attempt to bolster enforcement of this program and to check pollution and protect the river, Union government will establish a Territorial Army unit named 4-battalion Ganga Eco-Task Force.