Nanaji Deshmukh Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
The 2019 Bharat Ratna award has been bestowed upon former President Pranab Mukherjee, Nanaji Deshmukh and singer Bhupen Hazarika. Nanaji Deshmukh and singer Bhupen Hazarika were awarded Bharat Ratna posthumously.
Pranab Mukherjee served as the 13th President of India from 2012 until 2017. A veteran congressman, Pranab Mukherjee had held various key portfolios like Finance, Defence and External Affairs as Union Minister. He is the outstanding statesman of the present time.
Pranab Mukherjee was born in a Bengali family. Pranab Mukherjee earned an MA degree in Political Science and History and LL.B. from the University of Calcutta. He has also served as a professor of Political Science at Vidyanagar College in West Bengal. Before entering Politics, he was working as a journalist with ‘Desher Dak’.
Nanaji Deshmukh laid great emphasis on education as a social worker. The first Saraswati Shishu Mandir was established by him at Gorakhpur in 1950. He was a member of RSS and also served as general secretary of Bharatiya Jana Sangh.
Nanaji Deshmukh took part in Jai Prakash Narayan movement during the Emergency. He got elected as a member of Lok Sabha from Balrampur in 1977. He has also served as a nominated member of Rajya Sabha. Nanaji was awarded Padma Vibhushan in 1999.
Bhupen Hazarika was a playback singer, lyricist, musician, singer, poet and film-maker from Assam, widely known as Sudhakantha. He mainly wrote and sang in the Assamese language. His works were marked by humanity and universal brotherhood and have been translated and sung in many languages. He also served as a channel to introduce the culture and folk music of Assam and Northeast India to Hindi cinema at the national level.
The Union Government is going to commemorate the birth centenary of social activist and former RSS leader Nanaji Deshmukh from October 11, 2016 to October 11, 2017.
It was announced by the Union Culture Minister Mahesh Sharma during inaugural programme organised on the eve of the birth centenary celebrations.
Who is Nanaji Deshmukh?
- Nanaji Deshmukh was a social activist who had worked in the fields of education, health, and rural self-reliance. He was a leader of Bharatiya Jana Sangh and RSS.
- He was born as Chandikadas Amritrao Deshmukh on October 11, 1916 in Kadoli in Maharashtra’s Hingoli district and passed away on February 27, 2010.
- He was inspired by Lokamanya Tilak and his nationalist ideology. He was associated with Dr. Keshav Baliram Hedgewar, founding Sarsanghachalak of the RSS.
- He also had actively participated in Bhoodan Movement started by Vinoba Bhave. He also had supported the Total Revolution movement of J P Narayan.
- He was one of main architects of the Janata Party. He had won in the 1977 Lok election from Balrampur Lok Sabha constituency of Uttar Pradesh.
- He had established Chitarkoot Gramoday Vishwavidyalaya in Chitrakoot, India’s first rural University and had served as its Chancellor
- He had done pioneering work towards the anti-poverty and minimum needs programme. He had implemented the philosophy of integral humanism to improve the living standards of more than 150 villages of bundelkhand.
- He was nominated to Rajya Sabha in the 1999 in recognition of his services to the nation. He was awarded Padma Vibhushan in 1999.