Nanaji Deshmukh Current Affairs
The Union Government is going to commemorate the birth centenary of social activist and former RSS leader Nanaji Deshmukh from October 11, 2016 to October 11, 2017.
It was announced by the Union Culture Minister Mahesh Sharma during inaugural programme organised on the eve of the birth centenary celebrations.
Who is Nanaji Deshmukh?
- Nanaji Deshmukh was a social activist who had worked in the fields of education, health, and rural self-reliance. He was a leader of Bharatiya Jana Sangh and RSS.
- He was born as Chandikadas Amritrao Deshmukh on October 11, 1916 in Kadoli in Maharashtra’s Hingoli district and passed away on February 27, 2010.
- He was inspired by Lokamanya Tilak and his nationalist ideology. He was associated with Dr. Keshav Baliram Hedgewar, founding Sarsanghachalak of the RSS.
- He also had actively participated in Bhoodan Movement started by Vinoba Bhave. He also had supported the Total Revolution movement of J P Narayan.
- He was one of main architects of the Janata Party. He had won in the 1977 Lok election from Balrampur Lok Sabha constituency of Uttar Pradesh.
- He had established Chitarkoot Gramoday Vishwavidyalaya in Chitrakoot, India’s first rural University and had served as its Chancellor
- He had done pioneering work towards the anti-poverty and minimum needs programme. He had implemented the philosophy of integral humanism to improve the living standards of more than 150 villages of bundelkhand.
- He was nominated to Rajya Sabha in the 1999 in recognition of his services to the nation. He was awarded Padma Vibhushan in 1999.