Narendra Kumar Current Affairs
Union Government has appointed Narendra Kumar as the new chairman of the Central Water Commission (CWC).
About Narendra Kumar
- He is Central Water Engineering Service (CWES) officer of 1979 batch. Prior to this appointment, he was member (river management) of CWC since October 2014.
- Prior to that, he served in the CWC assistant director in Design Organisation, deputy director in Project Appraisal Directorate and director in Dam Safety Organisation and Project Monitoring Directorate.
- He also had served as senior joint commissioner in the Union Water Resources Ministry’s Command Area Development wing from 2002 to 2005.
- He was chief engineer of Brahmaputra and Barak Basin (Shillong) from 2009 and 2011. He also has worked as commissioner, Brahmaputra and Barak wing of the ministry from 2011 to 2014.
- He holds a master of technology degree in structural engineering from IIT-Delhi. He also has a bachelor’s degree in civil engineering from IIT-Roorkee.
About Central Water Commission (CWC)
- CWC is apex Technical Organization of India in the field of Water Resources. It is presently functioning as an attached office of Union Ministry of Water Resources, River Development and Ganga Rejuvenation.
- It is charged with the general responsibilities of initiating, coordinating in consultation of State Governments schemes for control, utilization and conservation of water resources throughout the country.
- These schemes are meant for purpose of Flood Control, Irrigation, Navigation, Drinking Water Supply and Water Power Development.
- It also undertakes the investigations, construction and execution of any such schemes as required.
- The work of the Commission is divided among 3 wings namely, River Management Wing (RM), Designs and Research Wing (D&R) and Water Planning and Projects Wing (WP&P).