Narendra Modi Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated first Assembly of International Solar Alliance (ISA) in New Delhi. The same event also marked inauguration of second Indian Ocean Rim Association (IORA) Renewable Energy Ministerial Meeting and second Global RE-Invest (Renewable Energy Investors’ Meet and Expo). United Nations Secretary General Antonio Guterres was present on the occasion.
International Solar Alliance (ISA)
ISA is an alliance dedicated to the promotion of solar energy among its member countries. The ISA Framework Agreement had entered into force in December 2017 and formally became de-jure treaty based International Intergovernmental Organization. It is headquartered at Gurugram, India. The main objective of ISA is to include global deployment of over 1,000GW of solar generation capacity and mobilisation of investment of over US$ 1000 billion into solar energy by 2030. ISA also aims to serve as an action-oriented organization by bringing together countries with rich solar potential to aggregate global demand, thereby reducing prices through bulk purchase. It also seeks to facilitate deployment of existing solar technologies at scale, and promoting collaborative solar R&D and capacity building.
Indian Ocean Rim Association (IORA)
IORA was set up with objective of strengthening regional cooperation and sustainable development within Indian Ocean Region with 21 member states and 7 Dialogue Partners. In, 2nd IORA Renewable Energy Ministerial meet, ministers from 9 member countries and delegates from all 21 member countries participated. IORA is international organisation consisting of coastal states bordering Indian Ocean. It serves as a regional forum, tripartite in nature, bringing together representatives of Government, Business and Academia, for promoting co-operation and closer interaction among them.
It is global platform to explore strategies for development and deployment of renewables. The 2nd Global RE-Invest was built upon success of RE-Invest 2015. It provided international forum to established players as well as new segments of investors and entrepreneurs to engage, ideate and innovate. It also showcased India’s green energy market and Government’s efforts to scale up capacity to meet national energy demand in socially, economically and ecologically sustainable ways. Globally, India stands fifth in renewable power, fourth in wind power and fifth in solar power installed capacity. India is one of world’s largest green energy markets with exponential increase in demand and supply.
India and Uzbekistan have inked 17 agreements including for cooperation in the fields of tourism, national security, training of diplomats, against trafficking and visa free travel for diplomatic passport holders. These agreements were signed after delegation level talks Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Uzbekistan’s President Shavkat Mirziyoyev in New Delhi.
In was first concerted effort from India to open strategic communication channels and broadened defence and counter-terrorism cooperation with Uzbekistan. Both countries also agreed to hold joint military training exercise in area of counter-terrorism, cooperate in field of military education and military medicine, set up Joint Working Group (JWG) to support and sustain enhanced, mutually-beneficial defence-related activities. They have also decided to institute a regular dialogue on Afghanistan.
Signed Agreements are
- Agreement for visa-free travel for diplomatic passport holders.
- Agreement on cooperation in the field of tourism.
- Memorandum on cooperation in the field of military education.
- MoU on Cooperation in the sphere of Law and Justice.
- Agreement in the field of agriculture and allied sectors.
- Agreement in scientific-technical and innovation fields.
- Agreement on cooperation in the field of health and medical science.
- Agreement on mutual cooperation in combating illicit trafficking narcotic drugs
- Agreement on cooperation in the exploration and uses of outer space for peaceful purposes.
- MoU between Samarkand City of Uzbekistan and Municipal Corporation of Agra, Uttar Pradesh.
- MoU on establishment of mutual cooperation and partnership
- Agreement on cooperation on establishment of the India- Uzbekistan business council
- Program of Cooperation between Ministries of Foreign Affairs of Uzbekistan and India for 2019-2020.
- MoU on for Development of pharmaceutical industry under the Ministry of Health of the Republic of Uzbekistan.
- MoU on Cooperation for establishment of the Uzbek-Indian Free Pharmaceutical Zone in the Andijan Region of Uzbekistan.
- MoU for cooperation between Office of the Security Council under President of Uzbekistan and National Security Council Secretariat of India.
- MoU on Cooperation between Indian Council of World Affairs (ICWA) and Institute for Strategic and Regional Studies under President of Uzbekistan.