National Buildings Construction Corporation Current Affairs - 2020
Union Home Minister Amit Shah laid the foundation stone for country’s first transit-oriented development (TOD) project in New Delhi. Under the TOD project a state-of-the-art infrastructure zone, including national capital’s tallest tower, will be built in east Delhi.
About Transit-Oriented Development (TOD) Project
The project- ‘East Delhi Hub’ at Karkardooma (in New Delhi), spreading over 30 ha, will come up in next 3.5 years. The hub will be developed around existing two Delhi Metro stations at Karkardooma (on Blue and Pink Lines). Besides a 48-storey signature tower that will come up in first phase of project, the hub will also include a massive open landscaped green area.
This project will be country’s first TOD project. It is being implemented by Union Ministry of Housing an Urban Affairs (MHUA).
Project’s first phase will be implemented by National Buildings Construction Corporation (NBCC). NBCC has been chosen by DDA which owns the land. The project will have mixed-land use, 70% residential, 20% commercial and 10% for civic amenities, besides housing facilities for people belonging to economically weaker section (EWS). About 4,526 residential units would be built, and 1,108 in first phase, besides 2,088 units for EWS (522 in phase-I).
The East Delhi Hub project was approved by Delhi Development Authority (DDA) in December 2014, with an aim to promote use of public transport over private vehicles. This implies that the project is taking off after much delay.
Features: The hub has been designed with complete sustainability model. One of the most unique part of this TOD project is that- inside it there will be a central massive green lung of about 10 acres, and it will also have vertical gardens and water-harvesting facilities. This is significant as east Delhi does not have such a huge recreational space. There will be a huge plaza near metro stations and skywalks to take people directly to destinations without stepping onto streets. The 48-storey signature tower (about 161 m) will become Delhi’s tallest tower. There will also be schools, dispensaries, gymnasia, cultural centres as well as library inside the hub.
Tags: DDA • Delhi Development Authority • East Delhi Hub • Ministry of Housing an Urban Affairs • National Buildings Construction Corporation
Lt. Governor of Delhi Anil Baijal, inaugurated the Sahara Naval Hostel for the ‘Veer Naris’ at Vasant Kunj in New Delhi.
About Sahara Hostel Project
- It is a unique Hostel project for Naval Widows or Veer Naris.
- Objective: It aims to provide rehabilitation of Naval Widows and their families in period immediately after unfortunate demise of their husbands serving the Indian Navy.
- The Naval Regimental System office has also been co-located at hostel premises for easy onsite assistance to occupants of Sahara Hostel.
- Project By: The project is steered by Indian Navy and has been built in Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) partnership with National Buildings Construction Corporation (NBCC). NBCC is a Government of India (GoI) Navratna Enterprise that provides civil engineering construction services.
- The Hostels are comprised of compact suites equipped with all necessary amenities for dignified living, along with a common Dining Hall and a Community Hall.
- Eligibility: Widows who have completed required period in Government accommodation after demise of their husbands only those are eligible to apply for staying in hostel for a period of one year.
- Extension: for staying beyond this period will be considered based on availability and merits of case.
- Importance: The hostel addresses a long term need felt towards rehabilitation of Naval ‘Veer Naris’ and also provides them a safe and secure environment which will help them rebuild their lives.