National Cancer Institute Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
Prime Minister, Narendra Modi inaugurated National Cancer Institute (NIC) at Badhsa in Jhajjar district of Haryana.
Prime Minister also inaugurated an ESIC Medical College and Hospital in Faridabad. It is the first Employees’ State Insurance Corporation (ESIC) Medical College and hospital in North India. It has 510 beds and includes the facilities of surgical oncology, radiation oncology, medical oncology, anaesthesia, palliative care, and nuclear medicine.
There are 6 existing ESIC medical colleges at Kolkata, Faridabad, Hyderabad, Chennai, Bengaluru, and Gulbarga.
About Employees’ State Insurance Corporation (ESIC)
- It was established under the Employees’ State Insurance Act, 1948(ESI Act) by the Ministry of Labour and Employment, Government of India.
- It is an autonomous organization and it manages the funds of all employees earning ₹21,000 or less per month.
- Employees’ State Insurance includes self-financing social security and health insurance scheme for Indian workers.
- ESIC is operating many medical, dental, nursing and paramedical schools in India.
What is the purpose of ESIC Hospital?
Workers are generally exposed to sickness related to their occupation; they may even suffer from temporary or permanent disablement etc, which results in loss of their wages. Institutions like this negate the resulting physical or financial distress in such contingencies and uphold human dignity in times of crises.
Cancer Incidence in Haryana
According to 2018 survey, 38% of deaths due to cancer occur in Haryana. Some of the identified reasons are:
- Rapid industrialization
- Industries are disposing waste directly into the river without undergoing any sewage treatment process. This gives rise to air and water-borne diseases among which skin infection and cancer are most common.
- Improper sanitation
- Excessive use of fertilizers
The contamination due to the reasons listed above pollutes water by causing eutrophication (the phenomenon of a body of water becoming overly enriched with minerals and nutrients which induce excessive growth of plants and algae) and the consumption of this polluted water is resulting in cancer.
Union Health Minister JP Nadda has announced that India’s largest cancer hospital, the National Cancer Institute will be inaugurated in Haryana’s Jhajjar district in January.
The Institute aims to bridge the deficit of tertiary cancer care in the northern region. The Institute would play a pivotal role in cancer research in the country.
National Cancer Institute
The salient features of the National Cancer Institute are:
- The National Cancer Institute will be set up with 710 beds, out of which 200 beds will be dedicated for translational research on India-specific cancers.
- The Out-patient Department has been started already.
- Different facilities like surgical oncology, radiation oncology, medical oncology, anesthesia and palliative care and nuclear medicine would be available at the institute.
- The Institute will also house first-of-its-kind tissue repository in India.
- The National Cancer Institute would operate under AIIMS.
- The Institute will also house 372 units of flats and 1,080 hostel rooms for staff members.
- A night shelter with a capacity of 800 units meant for patient attendants is also been planned.
- The Institute will operate on the lines of National Cancer Institute in the US and German Cancer Research Centre (Deutsches Krebsforschungszentrum) DKFZ as a nodal centre for indigenous research, promotive, preventive and curative aspects of care and human resource development.
- The Institute would concentrate on conducting and coordinating research on cancers which are more specific to India like tobacco-related cancers, cancer of the uterine cervix, gallbladder cancer and liver cancers and would focus on understanding and analyzing the cause and genesis of these type of cancers.
Out of 80 lakh cancer patients in the world, nearly 29 lakh of them are in India and about 11 lakh cancer cases are detected every year. The National Cancer Institute would be a landmark in the field of cancer research in the country.